Re: Kill a Task

From: Unicorn (unicorn_at_somewhere.com)
Date: 12/26/03

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:19:55 +1100

Please to think that I am the only one that has trouble with it. It is
getting better, but it is still slow and dodgy in my book.

Part of the problem is that Google is so good, and the people at Microsoft
just can't figure out why they can't write search algorithms as good as
those used by Google. A huge part of the MSDN problem is that their
Algorithm appears to place a lot of weight to the age of the document. If
you are searching on say VB5 and DAO stuff it is buried after the .Net and
SQL server stuff.

I assume that this is a classic case of marketing people interfering with
the technical side of things the presenting of 'New' technology first. I do
fail to understand how it is that entering the full text of an error can
fail to return the information on the error.

Matt

"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> "Unicorn" <unicorn@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Alex,
> > I have been on a survey panel for a long time with Microsoft to
> try
> > and fix MSDN search. They are working on it. But I still find it about
> 90
> > times faster to search Google using Site:Microsoft.com.
> >
> > The truly strange thing is that Search strings at MSDN return NO
results,
> > the Google one return multiple results and the one I want is usually on
> the
> > first page.
>
> MSDN search [in my experience] can be useful in certain circumstances;
e.g.
> if you're half-way up a vertical cliff on a mountain, it sucks hard enough
> that you don't need pitons.
>
> Other than that..
>
> H1K
>
> > "Alex Chan" <hnchan@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks very much. BTW, How could I use the msdn to search these
> > information?
> > > Because when I use "Kill a task" and the not related information will
be
> > > shown. It seems I couldn't use msdn to search the target result
easily.

> > > Any hints?
> > > "Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]" <jmaltz@mvps.org> wrote in message

> step-by-step
> deleted

> Windows
> > > 2000

> around" -
> > > no
> an
> > IE

> > necessarily
> the

> > > kill
> <program>.exe)

> > > post

> > > acrobat
> > still
> > task
> > call

Relevant Pages

  • Re: using OpenFileDialog
    ... > 1) I think I heard that there are "millions" of pages on MSDN. ... > to a google query. ... unmanaged code until this thread. ... MFC, so that is what I need to learn quickly. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: The Renovation Poll
    ... You fail. ... Get crackin', Google fixers. ... 2010 The City & The City by China Mieville ... the Cherryh, but my Cherryh in general is waiting for the time I've mostly ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: STRG+C über den COM-Port senden
    ... abgesehen von der MSDN, ... mich durch Google und auch durch die MSDN ... Kopf: Du kannst deine Hardware kaputt machen, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.entwickler.dotnet.csharp)
  • Re: win32 and directories
    ... > Yeah, if you know what you are looking for you can find it. ... the exact API name I'm looking for, Google is first stop. ... It is almost impossible to find anything on MSDN, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Auction canceled... never mind
    ... I don't use google to read rgp except at work. ... I still fail to understand the star thing you mention and fail to see their significance. ... One thing I cringed at was the 16 ounce ball peen hammer sitting on a piece of wood about an eighth of an inch thick. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)