Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for 10/15/2003

From: Mike (forest_test_at_excite.com)
Date: 10/16/03

    Date: 16 Oct 2003 09:34:03 -0700

    Why are there two versions of these updates? There is one install
    package for SP2 and a separate one for SP3&SP4. As far as I can tell
    they are identical. I have extracted their contents and they have the
    same file sizes and dates. The reason this concerns me is that the
    package for SP2 will install successfully on a system with SP4.
    Thanks.

    Mike

    "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<uWnl1g0kDHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > NOTE: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security and
    > http://microsoft.com/security are authoritative in all matters concerning
    > Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY email, web board or newsgroup posting
    > should be verified by visiting these sites for official information.
    > Microsoft never sends security updates as email attachments!
    >
    > Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletins. This represents
    > the first release under our new monthly release schedule and Security
    > Bulletin format.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows Security Bulletin Summary for October, 2003
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/winoct03.asp
    >
    > Microsoft Exchange Server Security Bulletin Summary for October, 2003
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/excoct03.asp
    >
    > Links to individual Bulletins:
    >
    > MS03-041 - Flaw in Authentication Verification Could Allow Remote Code
    > Execution - Severity Rating: Critical
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-041.asp
    >
    > MS03-042 - Buffer Overflow in Windows Troubleshooter ActiveX Control Could
    > Allow Code Execution - Rating: Important
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-042.asp
    >
    > MS03-043 - Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution -
    > Severity Rating: Critical, Severity Rating for Trustworthy Computing
    > Initiative Products: Moderate
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.asp
    >
    > MS03-044 - Flaw in Windows Help and Support Center Could Lead to System
    > Compromise - Severity Rating: Critical
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-044.asp
    >
    > MS03-045 - Buffer Overrun in the ListBox and in the ComboBox Control Could
    > Allow Code Execution - Severity Rating: Important
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-045.asp
    >
    > MS03-046 - Flaw in Exchange Server Could Allow Arbitrary Code Execution -
    > Severity Rating: Critical
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-047.asp
    >

    > MS03-047 - Flaw in Exchange Server 5.5 Outlook Web Access Could Allow
    > Cross-Site Scripting Attack - Severity Rating: Moderate
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-046.asp
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
    > Microsoft IT Communities

    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for 10/15/2003
      ... package for SP2 will install successfully on a system with SP4. ... > Microsoft Security Bulletins! ... > Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletins. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for 10/15/2003
      ... package for SP2 will install successfully on a system with SP4. ... > Microsoft Security Bulletins! ... > Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletins. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for 10/15/2003
      ... package for SP2 will install successfully on a system with SP4. ... > Microsoft Security Bulletins! ... > Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletins. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Very basic question - can anyone help?
      ... OK OK, true, but it does make sense to have the SP2 CD in any case, at the ... > Why, if the package was marked as already containing SP2, would the ... > poster have to order the CD from Microsoft containing SP2? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Have PopUps gotten smarter?
      ... The one built into SP2 works fairly well. ... Tip for antivirus. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...