Re: EFS

From: Drew Cooper [MSFT] (dcoop_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/24/03

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:23:33 -0700

IMHO "EFS file sharing" is an unfortunate choice of words on Microsoft's
part. It confuses the EFS behavior with concepts like network shares.
Because the folder itself isn't likely to have any interesting NTFS streams
and because we don't cascade EFS metadata from a parent folder to all of its
child objects, we don't support adding users to a folder.

For EFS best practices, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/recovery/default.asp

--
Drew Cooper [MSFT]
"V" <ismmm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In W2K3, I'm aware that you can share EFSed files with others by using the
> details button, but is there a way to share EFSed folders? If not, why
would
> you share individual files and not be able to allow sharing of folders?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encrypting File System - EFS in Win XP
    ... > does support file sharing between multiple users on a single file. ... > This diverse from Windows XP because EFS states that the users who will be ... You do not have EFS encrpytion on a folder. ... >> Authorizing Multi-User Access to Encrypted Files ...
  • Re: Serious EFS Issue
    ... user's information it copied her Documents and Settings to the 2003 server. ... I am also using folder redirection with her My Documents folder, ... where I am having issues with her data encryption. ... > for use with EFS (use the account to look in the Certificates ...
  • Re: Retrieving Encrypted Directories
    ... Thanks for the quick response. ... permissions to the folder, and can now see all the files, however when I try ... If you talking about EFS encryption, then to decrypt fileyou need ...
  • Encryption File System Nightmare
    ... In the case of EFS: MS has written some articles about ... >or information window that popped up explaining about ... >certificate and now, I cannot access all my files in the ... >encrypted folder. ...
  • Re: Using EFS for laptops in a domain
    ... I had already searched the web for disabling ... EFS and had not found anything. ... If instead you want to prevent EFS on the folder level, ... I drag it to the correct spot on the server, it is also encrypted on the ...