Re: Windows update problems

From: purplehaz (philcosoft_at_none.for.me)
Date: 09/11/03

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:05:42 -0400

That's a good place to check except that some updates don't have uninstalls
and would not be listed in there. Best to look in windows folder. If they
are not there, then it may be the ISA server, but that's not my field of
expertise, I can't offer much help with that.

"bj daniels" <danielsb@gunnery.org> wrote in message
> I'll look into that - I was using Add/remove programs to check, and the
> updates were not there.
>
> bj
>

> "purplehaz" <philcosoft@none.for.me> wrote in message
> > Just because it's listed on windows update does not mean it wasn't
> installed
> > by the auto-update. Windows update frequently shows updates that have
> > already been installed over and over and over. It's a bug. Check your
> > windows folder to see if the updates were installed or not. If they are
> > listed under the windows folder(you might have to have hidden folders
set
> > show) and they still show on windows update then try this:
> > Possible solutions:
> >
> > 1 - Delete or rename the folder c:\windows\system32\catroot2
> >
> > Then do the updates again.
> >

> > 2 - Start/stop the auto-update service.
> >
> > Start, control panel, administrative tools, services, right click
> automatic
> > updates, click stop. Right click again, click start.
> >

> > "bj daniels" <danielsb@gunnery.org> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to enable automatic windows updates on my domain. I set
the
> > > group policy (at the domain level) and if I go the properties of any
> > > comptuer I can see that it is set to automatically apply updates
daily.
> > > However, it doesn't seem to be working. On my workstation for
example,
> > > just went to windows update and saw 2 critical updates that have not
> been
> > > loaded (one from yesterday and one from a week ago).
> > >
> > > When I go to the windows update site my self - everything works fine.
> > Could
> > > it be a security issue. is it possible my computers cannot get to
> Windows
> > > update through my ISA server if noone is logged on. Is it possible to
> set
> > > an account they should use to install and get throught the ISA server?
> > >
> > > thanks for any help you can provide
> > >
> > > bj daniels
> > > danielsb@gunnery.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Downloading all updates after SP2
    ... > Is it possible to down load ALL the updates after SP2 in one hit. ... > there was an awful lot of updates to install (I stopped counting at ... > Where can i go to download all of the updates (i have a list from ... > Windows Update that i printed off before i abandoned the update on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • WARNING LONG - Brian Livingstons take on Windows Genuine Advantage
    ... Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware ... Some tech writers have said categorizing WGA as spyware is arguable. ... It causes serious problems for some legitimate Windows users and was sprung on customers with no notice other than a press release the day before. ... If an instance of Windows doesn't seem to have a valid license, display notices to the user and prevent any updates being downloaded from Microsoft.com except security upgrades that are rated "Critical." ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: WindowsXP slower after reinstall.
    ... How can I tell where to go to find the lastest drivers? ... >>> Did you get on the Internet unprotected by a firewall or antivirus? ... >>> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP ... >>> You can download all updates and burn them to CD.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Creating a Update CD for Distro
    ... > to my offline users that includes Windows Updates, ... will - over time - download and install what they need for them. ... better informed about your options when it comes to the Windows Updates. ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Are security updates available for saving to CD
    ... > Is it possible to get the post sp2 service updates downloaded so I ... better informed about your options when it comes to the Windows Updates. ... Direct Download of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP ... Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a ...