Re: xp sp2 Firewall Settings for allowing MBSA

Perhaps you cited this KB in error ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841549

With the target system's firewall on can you access its shares
from the mgmt machine from which you will do the remote scans?

If not, check that the needed services are running and the
MS Client networking ports are open for the mgmt machine.
These are listed in the MBSA Faq
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx
down under the topic
"How can I scan a computer that is protected by a firewall?"

If you can access shares, and the other two services (remote
registry and automatic updates) are correctly configured, then
did to force the update client to use a known, fixed port as its
dcom/rpc endpoint (again, detailed in faq at same location).

Roger
"Mr. Rao" <MrRao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
hi...

i had done all GP Settings and Port exception like tcp ,udp ports
135,137,138,445,593 etc... but the xp system blocks the mbsa connection
which
is running on windows2000 server...which are published in groups and
articles...
and also i had made the hotfix for xp sp2 WindowsXP-KB902400-x86-ENU--
which
is described in the article....the articles which i read is below
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2006/03/28/88301.aspx

http://www.mcse.ms/message1762034.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841549

but i didn't get.. when i turnoff the firewall it will working fine...

any suggestions plz....

Thanks & Regards

  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Trouble accessing Outlook Web Access from behind firewall
    ... When starting the firewall I also set ... > rejected and dropped packets are logged, however I see nothing in my log ... > # Higher ports needed to accept incoming/outgoing calls ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: iptables configuration
    ... >> that if a 'virus/trojan' initiated a connection to the net, the firewall ... >> would not protect the LAN. ... The LAN is NATed with private IPs to one public IP. ... the ports that are used by services running on linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    ... |> First thing I would do is put the GRC test site into the Exclusions ... | ports they will not get the same result being in my blocklist, ... the firewall checks unsolicited inbound communications attempts. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)