Re: turning off domain server

Well, if you are out to contact with the rest of the domain
then demoting it might be a little dicy as it will want to
speak with the other domain controllers when doing so.
On the other hand, if out of contact it will not be happy
as a domain controller either.
Now, if it was the only domain controller, that is different.
Either way, without any other machines around that are
making up a domain it is pretty useless to run it as a DC.

"CarSalesman" <CarSalesman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The initial reason I wanted to turn off the service, is simply to change
the
machine name. The machine has been moved to an entirely different
location.
The PCs that were part of the domain are not there, so I won't be
"breaking"
anything.

Can you recommend a book that will tell me more about the "new to me"
things
in active directory, and Server 2003, vs my long ago experience with NT
server?

I think my original post said the machine is Server 2000, but its actually
2003, if that makes any difference.

don

"Roger Abell [MVP]" wrote:

That may be done, as was mentioned, with dcpromo.
Aside from impacts due to loss of the domain, to the extent that
domain-level access and grants are in use, I have to wonder why?
A W2k server as a stand-alone can seem very like an NT 4 server
as a stand-alone, yes. But that is choosing to not use any of the
advanced that AD brought for centralized management, which even
with just 20 client machines can be a great timesaver.
I would really suggest that you think twice, even three times, about
this before you attempt to turn back time, choosing to run things
"the old way". Why not give yourself some time to see whether
things actually are better first, then think a fourth time?

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server : Security)

"CarSalesman" <CarSalesman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have taken over a Win2000 Server system. I want to change the system
name
and workgroup. When I go to System in Control Panel, it says I can't
change
those items because the machine is a Domain Server.

I don't need or want a domain for this application. The machine is
simply
going to be used as a simple file server for 20 PCs. In our other
store,
have a WinNT Server, with workgroup, no domain, that does that job very
nicely.

I would like this machine to work the same. How do I turn off the
domain
server function, so that if functions with a workgroup, no domain?
Thank
you.

  • Re: Client performance problem windows 2003 server...
    ... >Subject: Re: Client performance problem windows 2003 server... ... >Deploying Active Directory for Branch Office Environments ... >results from not having a domain controller in a particular site. ... incorrectly applied site coverage will be bad for clients ...
  • Re: Client performance problem windows 2003 server...
    ... Testing server: Verkstadsgatan\VERKTYG ... Deploying Active Directory for Branch Office Environments ... results from not having a domain controller in a particular site. ... incorrectly applied site coverage will be bad for clients ...
  • RE: NTDS.dit file is currupt
    ... "microsoft" wrote:> We are currently facing a serious problem with one our client server. ... > After rebooting the machine in directory services restore mode, I had> followed the steps below; ntdsutil neither defrag Active Directory Database> nor repair. ... Restart the domain controller. ... Check the integrity of the Active Directory database. ...
  • Re: Thoroughly confused SBS 2003 Server
    ... fact I first had SBS running on the box that now has the Server Enterprise ... A year ago or moe I put up the second server and made it a domain controller ... The replication generated an error: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Big trouble with DC in China
    ... > Since then, this server has so may errors in the event logs (KCC, ... > DNS, FRS) that I wouldnt know where to start. ... > Source domain controller address: ...