Re: Windows Update & Win2K Server thru ISA 2000

sorry, I got the newsgroups wrong - corrected below

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
For your networking related issues you should post to a relevant
newsgroup, although it may be hard finding someone that can recall
all details from ISA 2000

For Windows Update issues please post to the
microsoft.public.windows.updateservices

this should have been
(particularly for WSUS)
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services
(particularly for MU / WU)
microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

As to manually updating, either write down the KB numbers shown
in the Windows Update page, or just click on the more information
links when you drill into the information for each listed patch.
With the KB numbers visit support.microsoft.com/kb/123456 where
you use the KB number for 123456, and then follow links in the
article. You can also search for patches at microsoft.com/downloads

If you cannot get Windows Update to function, try using MBSA to
assess what patches are needed.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=mbsa&DisplayLang=en

"COB" <COB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have read all of the postings related to error 0x80072F78. I have
adjusted
to all settings in article 885819 and created the destination sets and so
forth in ISA 2000. Still cant update.

I see most everyone's resolve is article 836941. I am a corporate user
behind a firewall so that article is useless. So I go to article 900935.
use Method 3 because I have identified my proxy server and my port 8080.

I even ran the proxycfg.exe tool that others have used and it shows me my
proxy server and port no problem. I still can't get Windows Updates!!!
need help.

What is frustrating is is that I sat at my server this morning and saw it
needed 42 updates - updating is "scary" on this older server. I
physically
saw that I needed to run the updates. So I decided it best to make a
quick
backup, an ERD, and also backed up the system state. So I exited from
the
Windows update window, ran my backups, went back to the Windows update
tool
and BLAM! nothing. I cant beleive this is a proxy issue if all other
os's
get out fine and this one would have if I would have just run the updates
when i had the chance! What else is there for me to do? Can I download
specific set of MS updates to get past this hurdle?

Does it matter that my proxycfg tool is dated 2001 and the MS articles
reference 2004? Does that matter? Looks like it just edits the entry.

  • Still having problem with windows update
    ... We are running ISA 2000 as our firewall. ... >- Disable authentication for Windows Update requests. ... In the top part of the middle pane, ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: Windows Update URL no longer functions
    ... Please fill out the form and let MS know what happened to your system so that they are aware of the damage done by Guided Help. ... The system basically comes up except that Windows Explorer took 15 minutes to finish what it was doing. ... That interference may be why the system will only access a blank page when invoking the Windows Update shortcut from the Start menu. ... All I can suggest you try at this point, besides uninstalling WinPatrol/Spybot and then rebuilding the winsock stack, is to Clean boot the system and then reset Windows Update's components via a Microsoft Fixit: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Smeared screen = spyware?
    ... > Windows Update, but they haven't picked up anything. ... Step four - download and install the latest video card driver. ... NVidia Video Card Drivers ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SVCHost keeps crashing
    ... I'd mentioned previously that I had run virus scanning and anit-spyware ... installed after device drivers and windows patches. ... So the machine is not fully patched at Windows Update? ... I didn't do a repair install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)