Re: Deleting Subfolders and Files of a Folder

Your work-around is probably about as good as it gets using
the native filesystem interfaces.

<Fishless@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
This problem is a bit convoluted, but I'll try my best to explain it.

On a Windows 2000 server we have some main folders that we don't want
anyone to delete, but I want to allow them to have Modify permissions
on the subfolders and files of said folders. However, if you try to
delete one of the main folders it will give you an error only AFTER
deleting everything inside it, which pretty much defeats the purpose of
having delete denied on the main folders. The issue seems to be
resolved in Server 2003/XP, however we want to keep this server running
for a few years as we switch over to a new one.

I came up with a temporary solution to the problem, which is to have
deny delete on hidden folder "!" and file "!.!". However this is
time-consuming to set-up and fairly unreliable as it relies on Windows
starting to delete from the top of the list.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

  • Re: Space running out
    ... Mobo controller RAID, Windows SW ... Here is the drill on freeing up space on C drives. ... How to move Exchange databases and logs in Exchange Server 2003 ... How to Move Small Business Server 2000 Company and Users Shared Folders ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Running out of disk space on C
    ... server RAID array), and have done what I can to reduce the size of C:, ie ... will require some attention as service packs and updates take up room. ... How to Move Small Business Server 2000 Company and Users Shared Folders ... How to Move the Client Programs Folder to Another Location in Windows Small ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • extend c partition
    ... server RAID array), and have done what I can to reduce the size of C:, ie ... will require some attention as service packs and updates take up room. ... How to Move Small Business Server 2000 Company and Users Shared Folders ... How to Move the Client Programs Folder to Another Location in Windows Small ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is it safe to move service pack folder?
    ... Best if you have 2 drives, ... Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies) ... When moving folders, especially your Exchange data base, revisit the ... How to move Exchange databases and logs in Exchange Server 2003 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Volume Shadow Copy Previous Version of files missing
    ... I was actually not trying to access the Previous Version tab from the server ... folders is available. ... The only thing I know changed on that system were the windows updates I ... must have a working network connection and be viewing the volume as a shared ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)