Re: ghstwalk, Outlook Express

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 10/04/05

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:30:52 -0400

From: "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>

| LOL I flagged this for reading to see what someone came up with for an
| answer that was acceptable. That was yesterday morning. I've been busy
| today - and will be for a few more days (secret, can't tell ya, haffa kill
| ya type stuff -- err putting in a new floor really) but the reason I'd
| flagged it was that it made me think of SIDs and some of the changes. So,
| while it wasn't my question and while the answer was accurate enough I want
| to thank all three of you for giving me pause to think. Hmm... Now, in
| truth, we all know using the same SID is potentially going to cause issues.
| If so, then, well, why is it so common? People ghost an image and then, in
| the past, have rolled it out all over the shop and returned with the oddest
| of issues. My question is, while above, really as follows. If it's pretty
| well documented (and no offense meant to the poster) why does it seem to
| continue even to this day? Sorry for the simplistic addition but it's
| curious to me.
|
| Posting restricted to Microsoft Newsgroups only (I hope.)
|
| Galen
| --
|
| "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
| trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
| come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
|
| Sherlock Holmes

Galen:

Good question. I have never deployed a Win2K or WinXP platform without a Sysprep operation
prior to a Ghost imaging of the model. I read the documentation and I understood that
uniqueness was a factor that could be very important in various situations.

While I did not have an answer for the OP, I flagged his post because I wanted to see if
there are corrective actions and because I wanted anecdotal information of an example of why
not having unique SIDs can be detrimental. Sometimes its a situation where you have to ask
"Why do I have to do this, run Sysprep'ed is often "Because I say so." Here is an actual
real-world example to the question "Why do I have to do this, run Sysprep ?"

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ghstwalk, Outlook Express
    ... I have never deployed a Win2K or WinXP platform without a Sysprep operation ... there are corrective actions and because I wanted anecdotal information of an example of why ... not having unique SIDs can be detrimental. ...
  • Re: Any problem reusing SID of one workstation for many others?
    ... >setup identical drives in identical PCs. ... >the SIDs of the clones to ensure that they have unique SIDs within the ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)