Domain EFS Recovery Agent

From: Charles Blair (charles_blair_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/21/05

    Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:41:28 -0700

    I have the unfortunate priveledge to be placed in a situation where the
    first DC within a domain has been removed before the EFS recovery agent
    certificate was exported.

    There are no backups of the original DC.

    Fortunately, EFS was not used in the domain, so there is not data loss, but
    I do want to get the domain EFS recovery agent working again.

    The only lead I have found is in the following link and I just want to
    validate if the procedure will work in a Windows 2003 domain.

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.security/browse_thre
    ad/thread/3b0de0ea8c694253/bc975e764e0fbc04?lnk=st&q=Reinitialize+the+EDRP&r
    num=1&hl=en#bc975e764e0fbc04

    TIA

    Charles

    • Re: Domain EFS Recovery Agent
      ... > certificate was exported. ... > I do want to get the domain EFS recovery agent working again. ... You can simply run cipher /R:filename at a Windows XP or Windows Server ... and protect the filename.pfx file for any recovery ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Domain EFS Recovery Agent
      ... Thanks for the help Brian ... Charles ... >> certificate was exported. ... >> I do want to get the domain EFS recovery agent working again. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: problem with EFS Recovery agent
      ... Did you verify that the certificate you think is the EFS Recovery agent has the same thumbprint as the output states? ... > unable to recover file with this certificate... ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: problem with EFS Recovery agent
      ... i have deployed many certificates for my users and the efs recovery agnet ... of crypted data with my begening "efs recovery agent" certificate. ... unable to recover file with this certificate... ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: WSE 3.0 with Microsoft Certificate Services
      ... Once I get to the Advanced Certificate Request page, ... I do have a list of templates that ... EFS Recovery Agent ... Regardless of which template is selected, I do not get an option to select ...