Re: which cert?

From: Brian Komar [MVP] (bkomar_at_nospam.identit.ca)
Date: 09/19/05

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:04:12 -0500

In article <1126840325.868851.210670@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au says...
> if i am using a certificate generated by my local computer, how can i
> find out who can decrypt my files?

Read my previous response. Run EFSINFO /R /U /C.
This will give you the thumbprints of every certificate that can open
the encrypted files. Any user account that has the certificate and
private key in their profile (EFS encryption or recovery) can open the
file.

Brian

Relevant Pages

  • EFS data recovery - handholding needed
    ... in taking ownership of files in winxp ... >local admin is supposed to have access to encrypted files ... >with the use of a default certificate. ... >>encrypted folder under my a/c that has admin rights. ...
  • EFS data recovery - handholding needed
    ... I have also encrypted files, ... with the use of a default certificate. ... >encrypted folder under my a/c that has admin rights. ... Under the same a/c I've ...
  • Re: Certificate not shown with efsinfo /y
    ... that indeed makes efsinfo/y show the certificate. ... > encrypted files on a remote computer once the certificate was shown by ... > So the real problem is that I have encrypted files on computer A. I've ... >> Autoenrollment updating the cert should update the "current" cert, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: DRA & EFS on XP
    ... > able to recover encrypted files on a test account I set up. ... > when I'm done the certificate shows up in the window pane. ... > file created by my test account it tells me access is denied. ... > when I try to decrypt a file? ...
  • Re: Encrypted files got me crazy!!!!!!!
    ... > consider these encrypted files. ... > KB could be your problem if you had uninstalled SP1 on Windows XP - ...