Re: w2k3 sp1 - now "unable to open service control manager database on

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 09/10/05

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:17:44 -0500

Check to see if the Windows Firewall is enabled on the target server and if
it is temporarily disable it to see if that fixes your problem and/or see if
a domain admin or a domain user that is local administrator on the server
can manage the service remotely. If an admin can then it sounds like the
service permissions got mucked up and if they can not it is some other
problem probably networking related. To check the permissions on the server
for the service to see if it is what you expect in case that changed for
some reason use the Security Configuration and Analysis mmc snapin as shown
in the link below or a tool such as subinacl. The Resultant Set of Policy
mmc snapin on a Windows 2003 domain controller or the W2003 server itself
can also be used to see if the Group Policy is being applied correctly to
the server. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/seconfig.mspx

"cfsHighland" <cfsHighland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have group policy set up to allow the HelpDesk to manage print spooler
> services on all servers. The group is not member of local Admin group.
>
> Installed SP1 on one of the servers. The group is now unable to open the
> services on this server. Full error:
>
> Unable to open service control manager database on servername.
> Error 5: Access is denied.
>
> Am able to open computer in computer management, but still get access
> denied
> when try to access services.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Group Policy Results Wizard
    ... what solved it but I believe that I updated our server with the latest MS ... I have since rebooted both the server and a few of the clients, ... Business Server Windows Firewall" (not Small Business Server Internet ... "Group Policy Error ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS2003 Firewall disconnecting workstations
    ... Generally, the option in Windows Firewall on the computer is grayed out, ... On SBS 2003 server, ... on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based client computer that is in a Windows ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Group Policy Results Wizard
    ... "gpupdate" on both the server and the client I was trying to connect to. ... Business Server Windows Firewall" (not Small Business Server Internet ... "Group Policy Error ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: User Rights in TS
    ... Administrators have complete and unrestricted access ... Regarding deploying the server without Group Policy active. ... relative to the two programs we have that require admin access. ...
  • Re: Windows firewall and SBS 2003 not R2
    ... If you select the GPO in the left pane of the GPMC, you can just link to the WMI filter by selecting it in the drop-down under WMI Filtering at the bottom of the right pane. ... I have nothing under WMI filter on the non R2 server, and I do see it on the R2 server. ... While I was in there, since I don't get to do this very often, I was poking around and taking various notes about the setup and the hardware, I opened up the security center, and notice that the windows firewall was turned off via group policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)