Re: How to explicitly invoke Auto Update

From: Denis Wong _at_ Hong Kong (_at_)
Date: 07/21/05

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:07:02 +0800

Hi Victory,

There's two things you can try at this moment.

One is you can talk to your admins and see if they are willing to remove
your pc from the domain (they can join it back on later) so as to
temporarily get rid of the domain group policy (there might be other ways to
achieve this, but completely getting rid of it eliminates this factor
completely) which forces you to get updates from your internal SUS/WSUS
server.

You checked the event logs previously. Can you pls post all the details here
including the id, source etc.

br,
Denis

"Victory" <ashishchamaria@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Actually this is a strange problem. Even my domain administrator is a bit
> amused.
>
> The account that was initially used to do the updates was the account of
the
> Domain Administrator. It was not the local administrator. Even if i login
> using the account of local administrator, it doesnot allow me to do the
> updates and gives the same error. Its only through the account of the
Domain
> Administrator that i am able to do the updates.
>
> Internet is always connected and that is not a problem at all. Also, i am
> now on WSUS client and it has been set on Automatic(recommended) option.
>
> Also, the reason why i had included group_policy group here was because
> there is a Group Policy implemented over here for these updates. The WSUS
> settings page from control panel actually remains in a disabled state and
> m not allowed to make changes to it. However the selected radio is always
> visible. The updates are regularly forced by the server but i am also
> allowed to visit the windows update website and explicitly run the updates
> (which is currently not working as mentioned). But as i had mentioned
> earlier, the Automatic updates is also not getting implicitly invoked.
>
> If u feel there is any other irrelevant group i'll gladly remove the same.
>
> Please help resolve this strange problem.
>
> Regards,
> Victory
>
> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
> message news:eImpE7MjFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Victory,
> >
> > It just seems a little bit strange.
> >
> > What kind of account did you actually use to perform the update? Make
sure
> > your account is a local account in the local administrators group (if
you
> > don't know how to make sure, ask your admins, they should do the job for
> > you).
> >
> > And if you now have upgraded the Automatic Updates to the latest version
> (ie
> > WSUS), it should update your Windows if you set it to Automatic
> > (recommended) option and if you have an internet connection
consistently.

> > (btw, next time pls don't cross post to so many irrelevant groups, I
just
> > recognize this, but I am not sure which group you check the post, so I
> still
> > keep them here, pls remove irrelevant groups if anyone reply, this is
not
> > relevant to group policy (eg.) unless you use group policy to force
> update)
> >
> > br,
> > Denis
> >
> > "Victory" <ashishchamaria@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > When I clicked on the first link for the first time, my Automatic
> Updates
> > > settings tab showed me a SUES client interface.
> > > Then I used the second link, and it updated the Windows Update
software
> on
> > > my machine. I had previously not updated the Windows Update software
and
> > > was still using the "Windows" Update and not the "Microsoft" Update.
It
> > also
> > > created two objects in the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files" folder.
> > >
> > > Then I continued updating, and it identified 3 "High Priority" patches
> > be
> > > installed. It downloaded all 3 and then successfully installed one of
> them
> > > while two other patches failed.
> > >
> > > Then I deleted two objects from the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
Files"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/WSUS/
> > > WSUSOperationsGuideTC/b23562a8-1a97-45c0-833e-084cd463d037.mspx

> SUS

> > > prompt

> > or

> > View
> > folder.

> > LAN.
> > > install
> > installed

> > the
> > the
> > message:
> > system
> says
> > > that
> > > part

> > > net,
> Auto
> > > doesnt
> and
> > it
> turned
> > on
> > download

> though
> that
> > > it

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address ... those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... Accessories there is no Command Prompt. ...
  • Re: Error 0x800A0046
    ... I tried logging in as the administrator, ... > scheduling the updates indeed would install some of the ... > install all updates normally. ... > server as the actual Administrative user (instead of the account I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: no administerative privaleges?
    ... updates, no dodgey software, no viruses. ... problem when I change the MSCONFIG startup items. ... Administrator account called "Administrator" passworded. ...
  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... I did find it, but when I tried to turn it on, a choice of accounts showed Administrator, and asked for a password, which I never had or used. ... You need to format the HD, reinstall the O/S, practice safehex as much as possible and try not to install non Vista compliant software on the machine, which all of it could have created the condition you have at this moment, if you ever want Windows Updates to work again. ...
  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... I did find it, but when I tried to turn it on, a choice of accounts showed Administrator, and asked for a password, which I never had or used. ... I tried now to follow the instructions in your link about Some Windows Vista Functions May Not Work---. ...