Re: Lock down Win2K Box on a LAN?

From: Dave Patrick (mail_at_Nospam.DSPatrick.com)
Date: 07/10/05

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:39:26 -0600

Just unbind 'File and Printer Sharing' for the network connection.

--
Regards,
Microsoft Certified Professional
"Geoff Glave" wrote:
| Hi Everyone,
|
| I'd like to lock down a Windows 2000 Pro box on a LAN.  It needs to be on
| the LAN to connect to the Internet, but that's it - It doesn't access any
| network resources and it doesn't provide any.
|
| I'd like no one else on the LAN to be able to connect to it, or ideally
even
| see it.
|
| It strikes me that a simple way to do this would be to disable the SERVER
| service.  Is this a good approach?  Are there any other services I could /
| should disable?  Or is my approach a bad one.  The computer itself is
| physically secure in a locked office.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Cheers,
| Geoff Glave
| geoff at glave dot org
| Vancouver, Canada

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SP2 and Via 10/100 Ethernet adaptor
    ... >make a network connection. ... >windows, which find a rhine driver but that does the same. ... Look at the IP address of the LAN. ... I found that installing SP2 meant that my on-board LAN was getting a ...
  • Re: Server missing from network
    ... Server Local Area Connection: ... Backup LAN: ... >> Windows IP Configuration ... >> Network Connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: WXP SP2 Firewall not started
    ... and then restart each time to see if the additional entry ... if the issue only occurs on the OEM Windows XP installation ... >laptop restarted the network connection is lost and the firewall will not ... >repair but then it suddenly lost the network connection again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: warum PnP Dienst =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=FCber?= Netzwerk?
    ... >> Ich habe noch keinen Dienstleister gefunden, der ein sicheres LAN durch ... >> Windows Terminal-Server, z.B. in ein eigenes Netz und ein OpenVPN Server ... > Windows Remote Desktop Protocol Denial of Service Vulnerability ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Alternatives to using a Personal Firewall
    ... In the past I've tried disabling ... Windows Media Player, Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (every time ... When malware is already run, ... If running TCP/IP on Your LAN, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)