Re: recovery agent cannot decrypt EFS file

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 07/01/05

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:05:03 -0500

Sounds like you should be good to go. One thing to check is that you have
full control permissions on that file and you might try using the cipher
command. In a Windows 2000 domain or Windows 2000 local user, if the user
account still exists try resetting the users password then logging on as the
user on the computer where the file was encrypted and see if you can decrypt
the file. The user's profile and certificate/private key would need to be on
the computer in order for such to work. -- Steve

"Thomas McLeod" <thomas03@mcleodsoft.net.nospam> wrote in message

> Dear All,
>
> I'm the domain RA and I restored a file encrypted by another user to my
> machine. All machines are Win2k SP4. Using efsinfo, I checked that my RA
> cert is on the file and also installed in my personal store with the
> private
> key available. I checked the thumbprints and they match.
>
> But I still can't decrypt the file. What's up?
>
> Thomas

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Unable to Decrypt Encrypted files
    ... there is not a program that will decrypt the files. ... point of encryption if there was? ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ...
  • Re: How can I decrypt my files...
    ... > You can only decrypt files from the same user account that encrypted these ... Windows XP will display a blue screen and will not ... > Yes - You must repair it. ... I advice You to perform a clean installation of Windows - ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: The strongest alghorim?
    ... When you use an encrypted database, ... system has to use a fixed key to encrypt and decrypt ... This is how Windows Authentication ... > Did you try Google for VB encryption API? ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: What account can decrypt the file?
    ... There is an account on each machine, System, that also ... try using cipher.exe to decrypt the file and this did ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ... > "Workgroup" was my workgroup name. ...
  • Re: encrypted files recovery
    ... It may be "impossible to open or decrypt". ... Did you back-up the essential files BEFORE reinstalling Windows XP? ... > system, second partition logical - for data), both of them ...