Re: Interesting File permission issue

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 06/16/05

    Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:26:52 -0700

    You are looking at the NTFS permissions, and you do not have
    the ability to change then (grey). The share level permissions
    are evidently more restrictive than the NTFS, thus limiting the
    effective permissions allow during remote access.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
    > Hello all,
    >
    > When I select  properties/security of directories located in a shared
    > directory, I get the following message: "You only have permission to view
    the
    > current security information on shared on xxxxxxx".  I click okay and the
    > permission of the directory show up as Everyone/Full Control, but they are
    > inaccessable because they are greyed out.  Any ideas?

    • Re: NTFS and shared permissions
      ... > I have a few questions about NTFS permissions and share that I hope ... I know that NTFS permissions are applied to ... NTFS permissions are of course needed for control of accounts ... down from a more broad NTFS grant). ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Need Help on Assigning Specific Permissions to Shares
      ... can not be changed which would leave only ntfs permissions to control ... in groups to have necessary ntfs permissions. ... XP uses simple file sharing by default. ... > XP Pro but it doesn't say it works in Home edition. ...
    • RE: Migrating File servers
      ... shared permissions separately. ... For NTFS permissions, we can use the Windows 2000 Resource Kit tool ... Copy all the data from the old file server to target file server. ...
    • Re: recovering NTFS volumes
      ... If ntfs permissions are not being copied when data is backed up then I believe it ... If the files did not include the administrators group ... but instead a user/group unique to the operating system that is was backed up from, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Local Group Restricted to Internet Explorer Browser only
      ... combination of group policy, group membership, and ntfs permissions. ... permissions by themselves can control access fairly well to installed ... applications and data that reside in root or program files folder. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)