Re: Messager Service Pop-up Dialogs

From: Miha Pihler [MVP] (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 06/15/05

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:24:44 +0200

Hi,

Do you use firewall to protect your computer/network? If not (and it looks
like you are not), then you should...

If this is e.g. home computer then you can install free version of personal
firewall on this computer. Here is one option for persona firewall:
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

If you do have firewall, then check it's configuration or research
possibility that messages are sent internally on your network (from e.g.
infected computer).

As last resort, you can disable Messenger service on Windows. Right click on
My Computer and click on Manage. Once the MMC loads, look for Services and
under Services look for Messenger service and disable it. Note: this will
not prevent you from using Windows Messenger that you might use to change
with other people.

I hope this helps,

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
"UnderAttack?" <UnderAttack?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep seeing the following dialog pop up on my screen:
>
> Messager Service
> Message from WINDOWS to ALERT on 6/15/2005 9:37:42 AM
> STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
> Windows has found Critical System Errors.
> To fix the errors please do the following:
> 1. Download Repair Registry Pro from: www.regprofix.com
> 2. Install Repair Registry Pro
> 3. Run Repair Registry Pro
> 4. Reboot your computer
> FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!
>
> However, I can find no reference to regprofix.com with a Google search.
> Other similar dialogs appear directing me to www.updatepatch.info,
> e-regpatch.com and SwipeSpy.com for repair utilities.  However, I can find
> no
> reference to any of those sites on Google!  Regprofix.com indicates no
> affiliation with Microsoft.
>
> I'm concerned that this is a deceptive internet attack of some sort.  What
> should I do?  Can anyone offer a suggestion?  Asking good ole Microsoft
> costs
> $100 up front.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: help me rid this virus please
    ... Either SASSER or BLASTER.. ... the Microsoft provided information on the matter can be ... ** You MUST have Windows XP SP1a installed FIRST! ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Worm blaster remover program.
    ... the Microsoft provided information on the matter can be ... ** You MUST have Windows XP SP1a installed FIRST! ... After enabling the Internet Connection Firewall or creating the read-only ... install the MS04-011 patch from the MS04-011 download link for the affected ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 3 problems in XP
    ... Tell Microsoft about this problem... ... ** You MUST have Windows XP SP1a installed FIRST! ... UPDATES and PATCHES ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: 3 problems in XP
    ... Tell Microsoft about this problem... ... ** You MUST have Windows XP SP1a installed FIRST! ... UPDATES and PATCHES ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: SP2 problem connecting to web after instal
    ... > I've just installed SP2 after downloading all Windows updates first. ... > installed from CD after checking with Microsoft that I didn't have any ... > As soon as it finished installing, I disabled their firewall, as I ... > I've checked my Internet settings which seem OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)