Virus running through our network

From: Carl Gross (CarlGross_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/18/05

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:32:01 -0700

Recently, the Backdoor.Trojan virus popped its head into our network. I
restarted all the machines in safe mode and ran our anti-virus programs and
it appeared as though it got them (even on the machines that didn't pop up
with a virus alert).

When I spoke with the Symantec technician, he said it probably got through
the network via our network shares. He suggested that it may have broken
through our simple passwords onto each machine. I have W2K SP4 workstations
that are up-to-date on their critical updates. Can the virus still run
through with permissions like Domain Admins having full rights and Domain
Users having R/W rights?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mysterious file - WINXPINIT.EXE
    ... Symantec has released new virus defs on Sep 13: ... > Although I have not found this file on any machines on my network, ... > before and after plugging the server into the isolated network. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Exchange 5.5 and relaying
    ... I have symantec antivirus corporate edition running and ... none of the machines have a virus. ... network that is abusing ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.misc)
  • Re: MonaRonaDona
    ... without a virus checker then the longest it is likely to last before a ... anything on the internet or intranet. ... I'm not on a network, ... traffic each copy was generating looking for new uninfected machines to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • did microsoft ever release a tool for sasser like they did blaster...
    ... hey got a small problem with sasser we have a few machines ... out and about on the network with the virus on but its ... i noticed some time last year during the blaster crisis ...
  • RE: Securing a Local Network
    ... How much would it cost if a virus infected one ... be if a competitor hacked into their network and was able to access all ... Third issue is virus protection. ... can infect you from numerous other sources. ...
    (Security-Basics)