Re: The very strange problem about Win XP and Win 2K server

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 05/17/05

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:40:26 -0700

Domain or not?
Are you meaning logged in with machine local Administrator
account in all cases ??

W2k will recognize account that is named same and with same
password as one that exists on itself if one attempts remote
access while logged into another machine with the account
defined on that other machine that matches in name and password.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"newsgroups.microsoft.com" <mxc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The very strange problem about Win XP and Win 2K server
>
> We have 2 win 2K server, If we run by "\\server01" or "\\10.0.0.1\d$"
> command on a Win 2k PC by "Administrator".
> There are all logged on OK, but if we run above command from a Win XP PC.
> One can be logged on and another cannot
> logged on by "Administrator". using another user log on OK.
> who can tell me why?
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Local System Account
    ... I checked on Windows Server 2003 and Vista Beta 2. ... run following command from command line: ... one can specify it to run as localsystem account. ... administrator is not same as Local System. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Lost Administrators password
    ... > administrator password enter, reboot. ... This command changed the Password from ... > account which he forgot the password. ... > Admin account. ...
  • Re: Administrator access denied
    ... When you run the command net user username where username is the logon name ... for your user account it show the account is active. ... Home you can only logon to the built in administrator account in Safe Mode. ...
  • Re: Admin user account locked out - need help!
    ... the credentials for a local administrator account then that will not help ... administrator of the locked out computer. ... I tried the psexec approach but was unable to open the command ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...