Explorer.exe crash after security patch installs

From: Scott (Scott_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/13/05

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:12:05 -0700

We installed a set of security patches (MS04-027, MS05-016, MS05-018,
MS05-019, MS05-020, and MS05-023) on a few hundred Windows 2000 workstations
yesterday. Rebooted after patch installation.

Three of our users encountered a problem when they attempted to login
afterward. An error appears for explorer.exe saying "Instruction at
0x715101e0 referenced memory at 0x00000000". (Same address for all three.)
Same thing happens when you try to login after booting into safe mode. Only
way we have found to resolve this is to take a ghost image, rescue personal
stuff from the image with Ghost Explorer, and restage their PC. Pretty
painful for the users.

Any idea what causes this problem and/or a way to recover from it more
gracefully? Thanks.