Re: Volume Shadow Copy

From: Herb Martin (news_at_LearnQuick.com)
Date: 05/07/05

    Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 07:02:04 -0500

    "Jeffrey L" <jeffrey@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:#BBfuxmUFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Several users involved in billing are connected to share for BillingData.
    > Only one of these users should have the authority to restore a previous
    > version (such as an admin.)

    Then those 'other users' should not have the authority to
    WRITE to the main file or shouldn't even have the authority
    to READ that file (make copies.)

    Notice that shadow copy is NOT the problem here, but rather
    the permissions given to the users is the real issue.

    If they choose to make their "own" backup of a readable
    file today, you could not stop them. If they choose to over-write
    a WRITABLE file tomorrow from that backup -- for even
    from some junk -- you could not stop them.

    You have a permission problem, not a shadow copy
    problem.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > >> "Jeffrey L" <jeffrey@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > version?
    > >
    > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Rollback what?? If you mean they are accessing a share on a Windows
    2003
    > >> Server that has Volume Shadow Copy I don't know of a way to selectively
    > >> prevent users from using it unless you do not install the client on
    there
    > >> Windows 2000/XP Pro computers.  --- Steve
    > >

    > > Steven is correct -- that is the main point of Shadow Copy
    > > so you either disable it or you don't give the client software
    > > to the users.
    > >
    > > Why every would you want people not to be able to recover
    > > a file?
    > >
    > > If they are recovering "other people's files" then that should be
    > > dealt with through permissions.
    > >
    > > A user must have READ on the original to copy the shadow
    > > version, and Modify/Change on the original to overwrite it.
    > >
    > > Since each person almost always has this on their own files,
    > > they are going to be able to recover those file that belong to
    > > them, and any others that meet these requirements.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    > > Accelerated MCSE
    > > http://www.LearnQuick.Com
    > > [phone number on web site]

    • Re: Volume Shadow Copy
      ... Several users involved in billing are connected to share for BillingData. ... > so you either disable it or you don't give the client software ... > they are going to be able to recover those file that belong to ... > Accelerated MCSE ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: corrupted data after running chkdsk
      ... Chkdsk should automatically create a shadow copy before running. ... recover the files remotely. ... After running chkdsk /f on a sbs 2003, ... copy backups we're no longer there. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: corrupted data after running chkdsk
      ... The shadow copy client is installed on the server. ... made to try to recover. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Files to Recycle Bin
      ... My Documents folders. ... recover the deleted item in the My Documents. ... By default the Shadow Copies ... Copies of Shared Folders, you can view shared files and folders as they ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: corrupted data after running chkdsk
      ... Shadow copies are stored in the System Volume Information directory. ... I verified that there is a shadow copy of C: that was made when chkdsk was ... made to try to recover. ... this directory was not taken by backup. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)