using xp's eventquery.vbs on win2k server... need a little assistance
Date: 05/03/05

Date: 2 May 2005 16:22:18 -0700

I recently found that the eventquery.vbs script which comes with XP and
win2003 server could save me a ton of time sifting through logs.. I
figured out how to get it to work (mostly) on win2k by doing the

This script does not exist in windows2000 (server) but can be made to
work by doing the following:

1. Copy eventquery.vbs from XP or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
2. Copy CMDLIB.wsc from xp or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
3. Register CMDLIB.wsc with the windows 2000 machine by doing the
following at a command prompt:
        regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\CMDLIB.wsc /s

On my test instance (win2k server), I was able to query the security
event log with no troubles. I then did the above procedure on my win2k
domain controller. I can query all logs accept the security log (which
is the one I most want to query). Here is the error I get when running
cscript c:\winnt\system32\eventquery.vbs /l security /v on my win2k
domain controller:

ERROR: Unable to execute the query for the 'security' log

I can use the /s computername switch to query the security log on a
domain client (xp or win2ksp4) from the domain controller with no
problem. I also attempted to run the eventquery.vbs script from one of
my XP domain clients with the /s domaincontroller and it to failed with
the same error message.

I CAN see the security log using the event viewer on the domain

Can anyone shed light on this?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Automatic Scheduled Import
    ... query to import the data I'd write a script using the DAO library to ... create and execute the query without using Access itself; ... trouble of installing Access on the server). ... >I have a database on a shared server. ...
  • Mixing HTML PHP and sharing Data between Scripts
    ... Wrote a quick script to query a server for xml data and plot it as ... IMAGE MAP in HTML via PHP so I could click on each data point ...
  • Re: SQL state (error) is 37000
    ... Forgive me as SQL ... When I run that script in SQL Query Analyzer it ... >> an Openrowset query against the local server for the results ...
  • Re: OT:MySQL warnings
    ... This script runs fine under my MAMP installation (Server version: ... i'd bet your query is a little malformed- what is $Q ... does your host allow you an interface to input a query directly to the ...
  • Security Log Event Forwarding
    ... I was able to get the Application & System logs working as expected using the machine account, but nothing from the Security log will work. ... I'm trying to pull DS Access Changes events from all Domain Controllers running Server 2008 R2 in a single forest AD domain to a Server 2008 R2 member server. ...