Re: RPC service, how to make sure it's up to date

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 03/11/05

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:58:28 -0600

If you are using Service Pack 4 and your computers are current with all
critical level security updates as shown when you visit Windows Updates you
should be in good shape as far as RPC assuming the computers have not been
infected. You should also paradoxically scan for parasites with something
like the free for personal use AdAware SE. Since you are having trouble
scanning for malware, download the free Sysclean from Trend Micro. It is a
stand alone malware detection and removal tool that will detect and remove
many [not all] common malwares. You simply need to download Sysclean and the
pattern file for it to a common directory/folder to run from. The pattern
file will need to be unzipped first. Make sure you are using a firewall to
protect your computers and that your virus scan program scans ALL of your
email attachments. The links below contain more details. --- Steve

http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet --- AdAware SE
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp --- pattern file in .zip
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx -- Protect