Re: RPC service, how to make sure it's up to date

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 03/11/05

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:58:28 -0600

If you are using Service Pack 4 and your computers are current with all
critical level security updates as shown when you visit Windows Updates you
should be in good shape as far as RPC assuming the computers have not been
infected. You should also paradoxically scan for parasites with something
like the free for personal use AdAware SE. Since you are having trouble
scanning for malware, download the free Sysclean from Trend Micro. It is a
stand alone malware detection and removal tool that will detect and remove
many [not all] common malwares. You simply need to download Sysclean and the
pattern file for it to a common directory/folder to run from. The pattern
file will need to be unzipped first. Make sure you are using a firewall to
protect your computers and that your virus scan program scans ALL of your
email attachments. The links below contain more details. --- Steve

http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet --- AdAware SE
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp --- pattern file in .zip
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx -- Protect
your PC

"Dugie" <d_fren@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Win 2kPro, sps 0, 4 and 5 (but no sp3 shows in the registry). Latest
> avast! prog.
> I know nothing about RPC. My RPC sometimes doesn't start, so avast! av
> has a problem scanning properly.
>
> How can I make sure I should install an update of RPC, and which version
> to use? I don't want to damage my system.
>
> I've d/l Q298012_W2K_SP3_x86_en.EXE from MS, which seems to apply to my
> system, but am not sure if I should install it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dugie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RPC service, how to make sure its up to date
    ... > critical level security updates as shown when you visit Windows ... > should be in good shape as far as RPC assuming the computers have not ... I'll leave RPC as it is, ... I've been running McAfee 7.0 av and firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • RE: New Update for #70-299
    ... > Segment A contains a single server named TestKing1. ... > Segment B contains all other computers, ... > TestKing?s written security policy states that Segment B ... > Updates on all computers in Segment B to use ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: best antivirus solution for a Mac.
    ... updates for Panther in the last year too. ... packs and several security updates. ... Both of my computers, as well as the computers in ... I think that it is great that you are productive on a Mac. ...
    (microsoft.public.macintosh.general)
  • Re: SVChost.exe 99% CPU Usage with SP3 installed
    ... I've installed Windows XP SP3 on many computers to date (I am in an IT ... SP3 has installed on all of them through automatic updates ... I've spent many mornings in crisis mode because a Microsoft ... If the OP had had a quick scout in the "real world" before installing SP3, ...
  • Re: monitoring GPO
    ... Well it sounds as if it is working if at least some of the computers are ... You can also configure updates behavior as to ... changed via Group Policy. ... If using Windows 2003 the Group Policy Management Console ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)