Re: Group Policy Permissions Issue

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 03/01/05

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:25:16 -0600

You always can use the dsacls command but it may be easier to first try
using AD Users and Computers. First make sure advanced features are selected
in view. The go to system - policies to find all your Group Policies. Then
right click them and select properties where you can use the security tab to
hopefully change permissions back to what you need. You will only see the
GUID for each Group Policy. You can use the support tool gpotool /v to find
the friendly names of each policy if you need such.. --- Steve

"James Roper, MCSE" <JamesRoperMCSE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8FA62424-3BFE-4023-B65B-D60B37C7A393@microsoft.com...
> After a crash do to a group policy being edited, I want to make my group
> policies read only.
>
> I made it so everyone only had read rights to the security of two group
> policies, in my domain.
>
> I assumed that as the owner - the Domain or Enterprise Admin would be able
> to edit the permissions, like it is with the file system.
>
> Opps
>
> Seems like I can not alter the permissions, or delete the Group Policies
> from my list of Group Policies. Even as the owner of the Policy.
>
> Any way to reset the permissions of a Group Policy so the
> Domain/Enterprise
> admin could edit the file again?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how to set folder security with GP
    ... You can either use a Group Policy startup script that uses cacls to set the ... permissions or use Group Policy file permissions as found under computer ... implement file system settings at the domain level but instead use an OU ...
  • Re: Adding permissions on existing Group Policies - how to automate
    ... our task is to add a new security group to all existing Group Policies. ... GPMC you can only change a Group Policy delegation one by one. ... Changing the permissions on the Group Policy Objects container affects ... tough for them to see why we would want multiple levels of such nesting. ...
  • Re: Directory access
    ... You could use a Group Policy "startup" script that uses the cacls command to ... change permission on the folder being sure to use the /e switch to edit ... current permissions so as to not remove current permissions for other users. ... Right click file system and select add file to get started. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Changing folder permissions with GPO
    ... You can use Group Policy to set File System permissions: ... Open the policy you wish to use in the Group Policy Editor. ... Browse to the file or folder whose permissions you wish to configure ...
  • Group Policy Permissions Issue
    ... policies, in my domain. ... like it is with the file system. ... Seems like I can not alter the permissions, ... Any way to reset the permissions of a Group Policy so the Domain/Enterprise ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)