Re: How to define user-group restrctions?

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 02/13/05

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:20:50 -0600

If you are in a domain environment you can use Group Policy. Either put the
users you want to restrict into their own Organizational Unit with it's own
Group Policy or create a Group Policy at the domain level [or the OU where
your user accounts reside if not default user container] and "filter" it so
that it applies to only users that are in a global group you create. Group
Policy will only apply to users/groups that have the "apply Group Policy"
permission in the GPO properties for security. The settings you want to
apply are under "user configuration"/administrative templates/Windows
components/Internet Explorer/internet control panel. The link below explains
more about managing Group Policy and the concept of filtering a Group
Policy. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322176

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsec_pol_zbgy.asp
http://tinyurl.com/6f9uh -- Group Policy overview.

"Peku" <Peku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> How can I restrict a specific user group's rigths to modify internet
> explorer's settings? E.g. allowing administrator-group to modify
> proxy-setting, but denying that from all the other users? Can anyone give
> me
> step-by-step instructions?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting up new users
    ... could do is to let the users logon as the guest account. ... configured in permissions for a share folder so keep that in mind. ... Use Group Policy to restrict the users further. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Read only account
    ... You can restrict a user account so that is only has read/list/execute ... services/client&server data redirection] to restrict redirection of ... to save their password for their TS client connection via Group Policy. ...
  • Group Policy???
    ... I want to implement Group Policy in our Domain Environment. ... Also I want to implement Local Policy on Every Client Machine. ... Restrict all the Local System Resource except Owner of machine. ...
  • Group Policy???
    ... I want to implement Group Policy in our Domain Environment. ... Also I want to implement Local Policy on Every Client Machine. ... Restrict all the Local System Resource except Owner of machine. ...
  • Re: Group Policy for locking down windows xp
    ... Your best bet would be to use a combination of Group Policy and ntfs ... permissions to restrict access. ... With XP Pro you can also use Software Restriction Policies to restrict what ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)