Re: Security Breach in AD! Help!

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNoSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 02/09/05

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:12:52 -0700

see reply in your new thread . . .
it is computer policy

--
Roger
"Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A03DD4A7-7D54-498E-B15E-0751895BD7DE@microsoft.com...
>I have a question regarding Restricted Groups...
>
> I am trying to make the changes that I've set for Restricted Groups to be
> as
> close to real time as possible.  We had another user created today and in
> about 5 minutes the user was removed from the built in admin group.  I
> have
> changed the default domain policy, the default domain controller policy,
> and
> the local machine policy all to reflect the following changes trying to
> make
> this a real time restriction:
> I have enabled the... refresh interval for computers to 0, refresh
> interval
> for domain controllers to 0 for the computer policies
> as well as the refresh interval for users to 0 for the user policies.
> I obviously do not know what I am doing since I don't know what Group
> policy
> to apply and on what interface to get my desired results.
>
> Please help!
>
> thanks
>
> Todd
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> For the domain check the membership of the administrators group, the
>> domain
>> admins, and enterprise admins groups. Make sure it is what it is supposed
>> be and if there are any non default groups as members of these groups
>> evaluate why they are there and check their memberships. Reset the
>> passwords
>> on every user account [ including yours and your bosses] in any of those
>> groups. Make sure you are using hard to guess passwords. Also enable
>> auditing of account logon for success and failure and account management
>> for
>> success and failure in Domain Controller Security Policy. Auditing of
>> account management will tell you if group membership has been changed [by
>> normal means] and by who. You can also look and see when any user has
>> logged
>> onto the domain and from what computer. Be sure to increase the size of
>> your
>> security logs quite a bit to sat at least 10mb. You can use the filter
>> view
>> in Event Viewer or Event Comb to narrow searches.
>>
>> Check all of your GPO's at the domain and domain controller level to see
>> if
>> "restricted groups" is configured in a way that could cause such a
>> problem
>> and also check for any GPO that can apply to domain controllers and Local
>> Security Policy of each for any startup scripts that may be used to add
>> accounts to admins/domain admins admins group. Gpresult /v on the domain
>> controllers can help you do such. Also check Scheduled Tasks and the AT
>> command on each domain controller for anything unusual. If you are using
>> domain account that is in the administrators/domain admins group for any
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Security Breach in AD! Help!
    ... For the domain check the membership of the administrators group, ... on every user account in any of those ... success and failure in Domain Controller Security Policy. ... admin credentials on. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Re-occuring error message SceClient 1202 Application Log error
    ... rights assignments. ... IUSER_EEHQ-f001 is not my account, but probably> some system created account. ... >>> SeNetworkLogonRight must be assigned to Enterprise Controllers account for>>> policy propagation and replication to succeed. ... Looks like the default>> domain controller GPO. ...
  • Re: Domain users unable to change password
    ... are not configured to not allow user to change password in account ... I can't think of a Group Policy setting offhand but if you have a Windows ... 2003 domain controller try running the Resultant Set of Policy mmc snapin in ... connectivity, replication, and secure channel/computer account integrity. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Policy enforcement- Admin accounts
    ... Then in my test user group created a new gpo with a a different password length and as long as i block policy inheritance on the OU It does what i am talking about by allowing a stronger password policy for the OU. ... I can see why you wouldn't want to block policy inheritance for alot of users but for one ou of admin users i don't see the problem. ... account not being able to be locked. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Stand-alone (non-networked) computer - restrict one account but not another
    ... you can edit the policy when logged in as an admin and then deny the admin read permissions on %windir%\system32\GroupPolicy. ... the local policy won't apply to them because they can't read it. ... The danger is then that the policy may apply while you're in the middle of editing and depending on the settings, the admin account may be restricted to a point where they can no longer function. ... I want to lock down the User account to disable stuff like the Control ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)