Re: Patch Management

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 01/28/05

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:19:55 -0600

OK. I have never used it myself but Microsoft SMS is the not free patch
mangement solution that can do a lot more. I don't know if it will fit your
bill but you may want to check it out at the link below. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/evaluation/capabilities/patch.asp

"Molnir" <Molnir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> As Danny referred to Software Update Services is freely available and
>> works
>> well. It installs on a server running IIS on your domain, preferrerably
>> one
>> that is not using IIS for anything else. The nice thing about SUS is that
>> you can download the updates to your SUS server from Microsoft, approve
>> the
>> ones you want to issue, and the domain computers will pull the updates
>> from
>> your SUS server. It can also distribute Service Packs and domain clients
>> can
>> be configured via Group Policy to automate the whole patching process
>> without requiring the domain user to be a local administrator. When you
>> setup SUS I suggest you use the manual/advanced option so you can specify
>> the drive to store the downloaded updates. --- Steve
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> I've used SUS before, but not in an environment this large. The two
> problems
> that we have with SUS is that it currently only supports OS patches (we'd
> like something that does SQL, Office, etc. as well) and there's no method
> for
> determining what workstations actually successfully download the updates
> (in
> other words, reporting is nil).
>
> Thanks again.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUS and laptops working Offline
    ... updates unless they are attached to the LAN. ... >computer needs to be able to connect to the SUS server ... >torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • SUS Clients and GPO problem
    ... I have been struggling with SUS with AD for a week now. ... I have Installed SUS Server which is working just fine. ... Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations ... buts thats not happening the registry is not being updated.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Another SUS / Autoupdate question
    ... the SUS server doesn't seem to log any specific information of the ... Also SUS server doesn't seem to log IPs, ... > move any updates over to it from another PC on our LAN. ... updates either on admin specified schedule, or by the admin manually telling ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: client unable to update from sus server
    ... My first recommendation is to check out this white paper on SUS. ... have to manually set up every clients that will pull updates from SUS. ... > 2) on client machines in control panel automatic update ... > but there is no option to give sus server name .So how ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: SUS downloading XP SP2 with error code 407
    ... Go to your SUS admin page. ... The w2k DC SUS server is configured to automatically download updates ... Automatic Sync Started- 29. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)