Re: Prevent documents on Desktop

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 12/02/04

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:47:47 GMT

Not that I know of. If you want to allow them to customize their desktop
then they will be able to save files to their desktop folder also which you
could otherwise change permissions on to be read/list/execute. You might
want to look into assigning disk quotas to the users on their computer which
will limit the amount of files they can store based on file ownership. That
can be managed via Group Policy. You would also want to train them to clear
their temporary internet files on a regular basis if you implement disk
quotas. Another possibility is a Group Policy logoff script that copies
those files, based on extension, to their home folder and then deletes then
from the desktop folder. I am not great at scripting, so if you are
interested in such you may want to post in a scripting newsgroup and test
thoroughly before implementing. Redirecting folders including desktop may
be another option. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183322/EN-US/ --- disk quotas.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_cmob.asp
http://tinyurl.com/4katn -- redirect folders including user's desktop.

"TheDragon" <plandregan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a domain containing profiles for users. They are constantly saving
>documents to their desktops, resulting in silly sized profiles. I want to
>force them to save them on their network drive (Home Folder). Is there a
>way to prevent word/access/powerpoints being saved to the desktop. Using
>group policy.
> Server is Windows 2000 Server SP4. Clients are Win 2k SP4.
>
> I don't want mandatory profiles, as they are allowed to customize the
> desktops to their hearts desire, just not save documents on it

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PHM Plus! 1.3
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... > - Drive Customize (select icons and labels for your drives and removable ... > - Folder Appearance (select a background image, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: PHM Plus! 1.3
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... > - Drive Customize (select icons and labels for your drives and removable ... > - Folder Appearance (select a background image, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PHM Plus! 1.3
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... > - Drive Customize (select icons and labels for your drives and removable ... > - Folder Appearance (select a background image, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PHM Plus! 1.3
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... > - Drive Customize (select icons and labels for your drives and removable ... > - Folder Appearance (select a background image, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • RE: Picture Tasks
    ... Usually we can customize a folder as per the following article: ... So I don't think we can place the Picture Tasks on the A: ... Microsoft Online Support Engineer ...