Re: THEY CAN ACCESS MY HIDDEN DRIVES? - Local Policies and Star Office

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 11/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:54:58 GMT

Make sure you have the policy enabled for prevent access to drives is
enabled and nor just "hide drives". You also need to be sure that users can
not get to a command prompt some how as they will be able to access drives
that way. Otherwise be sure ntfs permissions are not such that the kiosk
user has write/modify permissions anywhere on the computer. In a default
install excessive permissions may exist in the root.drive folder, the user
profile by default gives the user ownership and full control permissions to
the profile folders, and the all users profile allows users to write to
possibly application data and documents folders if you look in the security
page/advanced for special permissions for users. Of course the kiosk user
should only be a regular user. --- Steve

"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been tasked with editing the local policies on a windows2000 machine
> lock it down for an Internet Cafe. I've managed to lock down the entire
> system, only leaving certain shortcuts on the desktop. Start > programs
> provides nothing and you cannot access/see any drives.
>
> However when running Star Office 5.2, the so called locked down machine
> allows users to browser through all directories and save/edit files. It
> only
> seems to be limited to staroffice, no other application is giving me a
> problem.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Personal Media Drive
    ... > much more knowledgeable about Windows than I am. ... You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Missing Administrative Tools Option?
    ... You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files. ... How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home ...
  • Re: Windows2003LimitingUserAccessTS
    ... have to use ntfs permissions and Group Policy to restrict the user. ... for drives and folders you do not want him to access starting at the parent ... >panel and all the drives and folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: active directory
    ... > and stores it on shared folders (or mapped drives) on the server. ... > What we want to develop is an intranet web site that acts as a friendly ... > drives they have access to) based on the user permissions. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.components)
  • Re: Setting user access permissions
    ... You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files. ... Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP ...