Re: MBSA

From: Leonardo Camata (LeonardoCamata_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 04:43:02 -0700

If you want to go deep on your security, you can use something like nessus to
check out your vulnerabilities. MBSA is fine to get missed security updates,
service packs etc.. Nessus can do the rest. But it is much dificult to setup.

"Sherman H." wrote:

> What are other "good tools"?
> "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sherman H." <shung@charter.net> wrote in message
> > > I am thinking about running Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to
> verify
> > > how the security settings on our DC and member servers. Is this a good
> > tool
> > > for the purpose?
> >
> > It's one very good tool to catch the most common basic security
> > misconfigurations and missing critical patches. There are other good
> tools
> > that might also be of interest for a fuller picture.
> >
> > > Any problems have been identified on using this as an
> > > audit tool?
> >
> > None I can think of.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Political Challenges Using Nessus
    ... Subject: Political Challenges Using Nessus ... > processes within your organization is to have a WRITTEN corporate security ... > necessary to ascertain and promote your corporate security requirements. ... I am impatient...I hate politics ..I know I can pull this ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Nessus - open or closed source?
    ... While I cannot state who I work for due to security reasons, ... whether it be nessus or others. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: The Ultimate Toolkit...
    ... The Windows port of Nessus is called NEWT and is sold by Tenable ... Security, a company that was at least partially started by the original ... If you are not the intended recipient any ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: MBSA 1.2
    ... A colleague and I have had success with using Nessus ... already includes a few checks for some patches, ... > What is the use of MBSA if all the PC's ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Political Challenges Using Nessus
    ... processes within your organization is to have a WRITTEN corporate security ... necessary to ascertain and promote your corporate security requirements. ... Subject: Political Challenges Using Nessus ... I am impatient...I hate politics ..I know I can pull this off. ...
    (Security-Basics)