RE: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs

From: Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] (
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:19:10 GMT

Thank you for posting.

I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs and
the system displays error message.

Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
to view the logs.

I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
nice day!

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
| Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
| Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
| Newsgroups:
| I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
| logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
| selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
| complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
| Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
| Regards,
| Aaron Young

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Add Licence Wizard
    ... Yes I am using the Administrator account but having checked the groups it ... occurs at the end of the small business set up wizard in the closing box ... Server Tools - Administration ... The error logs are present and are fairly long I will try the wizard ...
  • FW: Trace of 139 attack?
    ... administrator logins to be locked out after 3 attempts, ... attack, unless you're running terminal server, in which all logins are ... For example, passprop.exe allows the Administrator ... > deleting the logs he cannot do it. ...
  • Re: Non admin users cant do things they need to do
    ... can set the time then they can fake out system event logs by changing ... Double-click on the file to add data to the registry ... right you can do it through a local security policy. ... not an administrator. ...
  • Re: User Activities
    ... The only logs I mentioned were the event logs (they can be found in the ... When you refer to "the system administrator ID", ... administrator account, or the administrator account local to the machine ... "through their workstation": how did they do that, ...
  • Re: ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop
    ... for additional logs and more detail. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... On another thread I posted the log files, but I guess all of you use Outlook ... same error message. ...