Re: adjusting firewall in windows2000

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 10/05/04

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:05:57 GMT

They gave you bogus advice. Firewalls are for the most part either on or
disabled. DSL connections are notorious for having problems with the MTU -
maximum transmission unit setting. If it is too high, packet fragmentation
can result and cause the connection to crawl. MTU configuration would be set
either in the settings of your NAT/router device or in the pppoe connectoid
on your computer. If you are using a pppoe connectoid I suggest you get a
NAT/router device that will probably work a lot better and protect your
computer from uninitiated inbound traffic. Best Buy and others sell these
devices and there is one shown in the link below as an example. Call your
ISP back and ask them about MTU settings. I think around 1450 is a good
compromise. --- Steve

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=33-122-008&DEPA=5