Re: Certificate Templates - Duplicating template - Issue does not work

From: Brian Komar (bkomar_at_nospam.identit.ca)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:46:56 -0500

In article <eBRbpf#nEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
norepl@noreply.com says...

> Thank you for your help and the links........
>
> Yes, I see your correct....now I see an article that confirms it.
>
> Rather than upgrade the OS for this service, can I create and import a V1
> certficate somehow?
>
> I only need to make one variation of the web server cert.
>
> This all started becasue 2003 CA version grays out the Export Key option in
> the Web Server template and changed the CSP default. This was not grayed
> out in W2K.
>

> "Miha Pihler" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
> >I don't know where you read that, but to issue certificates based on v.2
> > templates you will have to run your CA server on Enterprise Edition. What
> > you should be able to do is upgrade your Windows 2003 Standard Edition to
> > Enterprise Edition if you need to modify your certificate templates.
> >
> > Implementing and Administering Certificate Templates in Windows Server
> > 2003
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03crtm.mspx
> >
> > Best Practices for Implementing a Microsoft Windows Server2003 Public Key
> > Infrastructure
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
> >
> > PKI Enhancements in Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/pkienh.mspx
> >
> > Windows Server 2003 PKI Operations Guide
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03pkog.mspx
> >
> > Managing a Windows Server 2003 Public Key Infrastructure
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/mngpki.mspx
> >
> > Advanced Certificate Enrollment and Management
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/advcert.mspx
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "klose" <norepl@noreply.com> wrote in message
> >> Its a Windows 2003 Std Svr, Enterprise CA was installed.
> >>
> >> I read somewhere that Ent Svr was not required, .............
No, the modification of a template requires a version 2
certificate template. And, as stated, only Enterprise
Edition CAs, configured as enterprise CAs, can issue
version 2 templates.

Brian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Difference between 2003 edition for PKI functionnality
    ... The Enterprise edition of Windows Server 2003 allows for the use of version ... certificate templates for Enterprise CAs. ... Enterprise edition also allows for auto-enrollment to Windows XP and greater ...
  • Re: Templates Distribute over the web?
    ... able to store templates on a web server and download them as ... correctly configured web server. ... Does your web server have a MIME type assignment for *.dot files as ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Templates Distribute over the web?
    ... able to store templates on a web server and download them as templates. ... Does your web server have a MIME type assignment for *.dot files as ... "Does your web server have a MIME type assignment for *.dot files as ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Templates Distribute over the web?
    ... able to store templates on a web server and download them as templates. ... correct extension and type? ... Does your web server have a MIME type assignment for *.dot files as ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Help! Certificate Templates
    ... 2003 Enterprise Edition isn't required. ... What's New in Windows Server 2003 ... Version 2 Certificate Templates ...