Re: trust between forest - windows 2000

From: seeker01 (seeker01_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/13/04

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:07:08 -0700

from "Table 1.20 Trust Management Tasks and Procedures"

Tasks
====
Create an external trust (between a Windows 2000 domain and a Windows NT 4.0
domain, or between domains in different forests).
Procedures
=======
Create a One-way Trust (MMC Method).
Create a One-way Trust (Netdom.exe Method).
Create a Two-way Trust (MMC Method).
Create a Two-way Trust (Netdom.exe Method).
Tools
===
 Active Directory Domains and Trusts (Windows 2000)
-Or-
Netdom.exe
User Manager for Domains (Windows NT 4.0)
Frequency
=======
As needed

"Dean Wells [MVP]" wrote:

> seeker01 wrote:
> > Thanks Dean. this is so disappointing. I was obviously misled by
> > technet artilce "managing trusts".

> >> No, domain to domain trusts between forests (uswa NTLM for
> >> authentication and is non-transitive) are supported but that doesn't
> >> equate to the two entire forests trusting one another. It is
> >> supported with Windows Server 2003 (uses Kerberos for authentication
> >> and is transitive between the domains in either forest) assuming
> >> something known as the "forest functional level" is set to Windows
> >> 2003 Native.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
> >> MSEtechnology
> >> [[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
> >> R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l
>
> Which aspects of cross-forest trust do you require that are not met by
> domain to domain trusts between forests? This may simply be a
> mis-understanding of terminology ... feel free to paste the pertinent
> piece(s) of the article you're referencing.
>
> --
> Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
> MSEtechnology
> [[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
> R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l

Relevant Pages