Re: Automatic Logon (Win 2003 ): How Do I Connect To Console Session Using RDC?

From: Kristofer Gafvert (kgafvert_at_NEWSilopia.com)
Date: 09/05/04

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:40:52 +0200

Hello,

Here's the answer:

http://www.ilopia.com/FAQ/FAQ.aspx?id=23

Can I connect to the console session remotly?

Yes! If you use the Windows Server 2003 client you can write <SERVERNAME>
/console in the computer name box.

If you are using the Windows XP Remote Desktop client you will have to start
the Remote Desktop client from a command prompt by writing mstsc /console
/v:servername. Where mstsc is located depends on where you installed it, but
it's usually in "%programfiles%/remote desktop" or "%systemroot%/system32"

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert
"Mike" <mpenter2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear Friends,
>
>      I have a problem that I hope someone has the answer to.
>
>      I setup my Windows 2003 server to use Automatic Logon for my user
> account (e.g. if the server reboots, my user account automatically
> logs into the console and executes a WSH script that notifies me the
> server bounced itself).
>
>      Here's the problem.  I often connect to this server using RDC
> (Remote Desktop Connection).
>
>      When I RDC into the server with my user account, I do not see my
> WSH script running on the desktop.  However, if I launch Task Manager,
> I do see my script running as one of the processes.
>
>      I went into Windows Terminal Manager and realized that Automatic
> Logon was running my WSH script under the "Console" session.
>
>      When I connect using RDC, I am under a separate session.  I tried
> connecting to the "Console" session but am unable to.
>
>      QUESTION: Is there a way to connect to the box using RDC and then
> enter the "Console" session so I can see my WSH script running?
>
>      Looking forward to some innovative solutions!
>
> Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Non Administrative Console Access
    ... "To log on to this remote session, ... This only appears when trying to access the server via TS Console session, ... Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... made a member of the Local Administrators group. ...
  • Re: Applying computer setting
    ... If you're the primary administrator of a server, ... that is the console session. ... If there is more than one person that is allowed to log onto the server, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RDC Console connection locks up server
    ... Does this happen only when there is an active console session ... can you logon to the physical console of the server? ... find when used w/o the /console switch. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients)
  • Re: Duh question about TS versus RDC
    ... When the server is in Remote Administration mode, ... connections (+ 1 console session), which don't require any TS CALs ... *all* connections need a TS ...
  • Re: How to unlock the console?
    ... It didn't ask to unlock the screen saver anymore. ... >>> After i connected to the console session of the WIN2K3(DC,TS Server) ...