Re: Please help : Adminstrator password consistancy ????

From: serge calderara (sergecalderara_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/03/04

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:53:02 -0700

As previous post, prevent boot floppy from bios could be a way but, we have
some backuip and restore procedure which needs to use booting from floppy.
But anyway thos software which reset administrative password, some are using
boot floppy but some other a simple boot CD. So if we use Bios locking that
is a bit enoying for handling ghost backup and restore procedure...

I was thinking on a solution, inside group policy or local security, or some
scripting stuff which could force back proper user rights..

Could it be possible ?

regards
serge

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> In the computers cmos settings that are available during the boot sequence usually by
> holding down delete or such, configure the computer to boot only from the hard drive.
> Then password protect the cmos settings. Users may still be able to reset the
> password by removing the cover of the computer and unplugging the battery or using a
> jumper to reset cmos settings to default so try to use cases that lock access to the
> inside of the computer. If you are in a domain you can use the Group Policy computer
> configuration "restricted groups" feature at the Organizational Unit level to enforce
> domain computers local group membership for computers in that OU. --- Steve
>

> "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Actually we are setting up some standard office workstation with Windows
> > 2000 pro.
> > We have setup there different user profile with appropriate rights.
> > We keep for out IT team the Administrator password..
> >
> > As you may know it exist some software (a single boot floppy) that can reset
> > the administrator password , and then final users will have access to
> > everything and our IT tema start to do the police on non stable system due to
> > some system settings changes.
> >
> > Is there a way to avoid that the administrator password is discovered ?
> >
> > Thnaks for your help
> > regards
> >
> > Serge

Relevant Pages

  • 5.3-RC1 on Asus A7V880: black screen instead of sysinstall
    ... The screen goes black after probing USB, and I can only see sysinstall ... PCI/AGP primary output setting in bios doesn't make any ... Looks like it should be the boot floppy (as opposed to kern1 and ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: MS-DOS Startup disk
    ... Set the boot order in BIOS to boot floppy before CD. ... Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 4 Bad Motherboards in a row?
    ... Yeah, mine too. ... setting in that BIOS which can be the default setting ... ... Again, that is clearly a BIOS problem, ... utillity from a boot floppy ... ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • HOW TO FLASH IBM THINKPAD BIOS W/O BATTERY
    ... Being as I only have this on 1 IBM it is hard for me to say ... DOS boot floppy or Windows created boot floppy or copy command.com to ... the IBM made boot floppy to access dos command prompt. ... To check this reboot and enter BIOS and verify the ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)