Re: Permission Set to Everyone Deny - Can't take ownership

From: Cory Blythe (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/30/04

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:55:41 -0700

Thanks for the tip that allowed me to take ownership as
admin but I still get a 'File may be in use' error when I
try and delete them. I'll have to wait until off hours
and try a reboot to see if that clears the flag.

Thanks Again
Cory Blythe

user right has been removed
>as shown by the effective setting on that computer in
Local Security Policy /security
>settings/local policies/our rights. What kind of error
does the administrator get??
>Make sure that the user logging on to take ownership is
actually in the
>administrators local group as shown by [net localgroup
administrators] . If you still
>have problems use fileacl with the /force switch to force
ownership for the
>administrators and then change permissions to grant
access and deletion. See the
>links below for more information. --- Steve
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-
004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en
>http://www.gbordier.com/gbtools/fileacl.htm
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081 -- KB article
on folder deletion problems

>"Cory Blythe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>>A user that is no longer with us set security to several
>> of his personal files to Everyone Deny on his share
>> drive. Before we realized this the user account was
>> removed and now the administrator account cannot take
>> ownership of the files in order to change the security
>> settings and delete the files.
>>
>> All I really need to do is delete these files from the
>> hard drive can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thank You
>> Cory Blythe
>>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: receiving access denied message on all folders in logical pa
    ... but there is not a 'security' or advance button on either. ... > Administrator account (e.g. it may be called Administrator, ... > Click on the Ownership tab ... > Review the listed permissions configuration and adjust as desired ...
  • RE: Repair Re-install Goof Up?- Need Help
    ... How to take ownership of a folder ... In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you ... Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: cannot rename files or change icons
    ... If your repair functions in Office are failing, your only real choice is an uninstall and reinstall of the entire Office set. ... As far as the read only setting, you are not really concerned by that, since it's a normal part of XP's file system that all files capable of ownership are indeed read only to those who do not own it. ... Thanks for the excellent Administrator Account directions - worked perfectly ... I've attempted that from both Administrator ...
  • Re: Re: Administrator canít see folders/files of user account
    ... > back - but unless you are smart too, Brett will know. ... > I went to Safe Mode and added Administrator and AdamsDad to the ... > permissions are still there; ... You did not take ownership. ...
  • Re: Permission Set to Everyone Deny - Cant take ownership
    ... The administrator can always take ownership unless that user right has been removed ... as shown by the effective setting on that computer in Local Security Policy /security ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)