Re: Firewalls & OSes

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 08/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:44:54 GMT

When you have dual boot operating systems, the software installed on one operating
system is not going to be protecting the other operating system. As far as the other
operating system is concerned the application is just a bunch of files. When you
install an application on an operating system, entries are made in the registry of
that operating system. Zone Alarm works fine, but it you are going to be using
cable/dsl I suggest you buy your own router which go for around $39 and up. ---
Steve

"Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this at a board for XP and was told to use
> ZoneAlarm. That's fine and maybe I will, but that response
> didn't answer the following question:
>
> I'm moving and losing access to Lynksys firewall router.
> My computer is able to boot to either W2K or XP. XP has
> built-in firewall, while W2K does not. I have to install a
> software firewall to W2K (I assume?). I have a version of
> Norton's Personal Firewall I never installed. If I install
> that to W2K, do I have a problem (any conflict), or do
> firewalls only function when a given system is booted, the
> same as different sypware programs? Please help, as the
> Symantec handbook says nothing and it's impossible to get
> them to respond without a $30 or $40 charge. In other
> words, if I'm using the same connection to the net,
> regardless of OS, do I need a firewall for each OS?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: help me understand this error
    ... > what I am missing if I don't install it. ... I can always use another firewall - right. ... about SP2 is *not* the firewall, which isn't a very good one anyway. ... operating system - or a newer version of the same - and the program ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Funky machine
    ... Install another license of the trend 3 pack I just bought for the new system. ... Should Xp install from CD with no network connection? ... oldest operating system first as the newer operating system may overwrite ... hardware issues. ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall
    ... > A software firewall doensn't enjoy the same operating environment. ... > on top of an inheriently unsecure general purpose operating system (ie; ... Tell me how the appliance is more secure? ... install on a default install of Solaris/Linux/Windows better than ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Funky machine
    ... secedit to restore all default defined security settings. ... I went thru the steps and the system failed to install the new genuine ... oldest operating system first as the newer operating system may overwrite ...
  • Re: Draft I: Why You Dont Want to Install Software
    ... > number of local administrators we have lurking around our networks. ... > idea of contacting your network consultant to install software probably ... > could install software. ... > operating system on which businesses would depend to conduct their affairs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)