Re: ? to change the Drive Sharing properties via script?

From: Miha Pihler (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 08/17/04

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:05:11 +0200

Hi Matt,

Drives are shared by default since hm ... Windows NT. Shares are hidden and
can only be accessed by System Administrators. If you disable them some
things may stop working (software that is installed over network - push
installations).

Here is an article how to disable these administrative shares (and they
won't be shared again after reboot).

I am not sure what version of Windows 2000 you have so here goes for Pro
version.

How to create and delete hidden or administrative shares on client computers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984&Product=win2000#2b

and for Server

Remove Administrative Shares in Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;318751

I hope this helps,

Mike

"Matt Alanzo" <access_vba04@emailias.com> wrote in message

> I've got something on my OS that keeps changing my drives to Shared
> Access.
>
> Does anybody know how to change the Drive Sharing properties from
> "default share" to "not shared" or reverse via script, batch-file
> (command prompt) or registry? I don't want to set these parameters
> manually for up to 10 drieves per PC but use a script or something
> faster instead...
>
> [A real "home run" piece of advice is how to figure out what is doing
> this. Any thoughts. I've already run Spy Bot Search & Destroy and
> come up clean.]
>
> Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Everyone permissions
    ... The shares that you are referring to are called "administrative" shares ... Administrators or Backup/Server Operators groups and then used that. ... you can modify this behavior in Windows Server 2003. ... >>However, since the folders are not shared out by default, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: The amazing disappearing VBA code
    ... That's because you've been providing them with mapped drives! ... first Access client to get an NT server was back in 1998. ... PublicData, ClientData, and so forth as your top-level shares, ... There's also the problem of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Can I have more than 24 drive letters?
    ... There are only 26 letters in the alphabet that Windows uses. ... workstation has to have a few for its own drives. ... Too many shares would get too confusing anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to get rid of C$ share
    ... of the local Administrators group. ... Big sigh of relief as my hard drives are no longer "open". ... between partitions I believe and even within one C partition. ... XP Pro automatically shares all hd's with the $ appended. ...
  • Re: drives mysteriously shared
    ... You are probably seeing the administrative shares. ... By default, Windows ... > indicates that drives are being shared despite my not having asked they be. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)