Re: Machine beeps at logon

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 08/13/04

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:16:29 GMT

Check Device manager to see if there is a problem with IRQ conflict or driver for the
sound card. Also boot into safe mode to see if problem still persists which if it
does not would indicate a problem with a startup application/service/driver. I am not
sure but the sound drivers may not even load in safe mode, so keep that in mind when
trying safe mode, but you can use msconfig to do selective startup of applications
and services that may help pinpoint the problem. The msconfig from XP can be used or
you can download from the internet by searching for " msconfig download ". --- Steve

"Bob B." <Bob B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running 2000 Pro. and NT 4 dual boot. When I boot into 2k Pro and get to
> the logon screen which seems to be right after it loads the security policy
> the machine will start beeping. I have loaded all of the patches and can't
> locate why the computer is beeping. When I boot into NT the computer does not
> beep. Any info. on this would be helpful.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ailing Computer
    ... This is repeatable and occurred following selection of Safe mode, ... Safe Mode with only a keyboard attached (that is all you need for Safe ... Sometimes your system will not boot and you may use the F8 boot ... Experience and lots of testing says that the keyboard and mouse driver ...
  • Re: Repair Install gives BSOD; next step?
    ... Use this command to disable a Windows system service or a driver. ... Earlier I started the repair install. ... boot into safe mode, but got a message saying setup cannot boot into safe ... It seems there's a catch 22 -- I need to boot into safe mode to fix the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ailing Computer
    ... This is repeatable and occurred following selection of Safe mode, ... Safe Mode with only a keyboard attached (that is all you need for Safe ... Sometimes your system will not boot and you may use the F8 boot ... Experience and lots of testing says that the keyboard and mouse driver ...
  • Re: Ailing Computer
    ... Whenever I attempt to start in safe mode a bunch of files are loaded, ... Safe Mode with only a keyboard attached (that is all you need for Safe ... Sometimes your system will not boot and you may use the F8 boot ... Experience and lots of testing says that the keyboard and mouse driver ...
  • Yes for Normal mode, no for Safe mode.....
    ... If it was a boot sector virus it would not boot ... There is no indication of a bad controller driver in device manager, ... It sure would be nice to be able to boot to safe mode and do some more ... It's a dell inspiron 6000 notebook, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)