Re: Messenger Pop up

From: Dave (noone_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 08/09/04

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:02:17 -0000

you should know though that disabling the messenger service only hides the
true problem.. you have a system that is exposed to the internet without
protection. the better fix is to get a firewall, even one of the free ones
like zonealarm and block all that stuff from getting to the operating sytem.

<markwell99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've gotten messages from a number of sites, some called
> www.messagestop.net....and many others..
> They open up Messager dialog boxes and try to sell software to stop
popups..
> I call it extortion..
> But I found a fairly easy way to stop this....Look at windows site..
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx
> For a detailed explanation on disabling the messanger service that the
> ruthless people are
> explioting... Ha ha....the messges don't come through any more......

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spyware Advice
    ... and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. ... > use a decent, properly configured firewall. ... > messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom, ... Disabling the messenger ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I need to know if this is a serious concern...
    ... type of protection that is already available to you free of charge. ... Messenger Service of Windows ... Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement ... Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles ...
  • Re: Spyware?
    ... and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. ... > use a decent, properly configured firewall. ... > messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom, ... Disabling the messenger ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: microsoft internet explorer spyware pop-up
    ... and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. ... ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by ... Messenger Service of Windows ... Disabling the messenger ...