programmatically change permissions on folder in windows?

From: brandon (b.bearden_at_usa.net)
Date: 08/05/04

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:15:38 -0400

programmatically change permissions on folder in windows

Windows 2000 File server SP4:

Here is what we are doing:

If I go to folder> security> add <security group>
Then folder> security> Advanced> Permissions> Replace permission entries on
all child
objects we get this dialog box

---------------------------
Security
---------------------------
This will remove explicitly defined permissions on all child objects and
enable propagation
of inheritable permissions to those child objects. Only inheritable
permissions propagated
from "FOLDER" will take effect.

Do you wish to continue?
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------
Here is our Question:

Is there any way to programmatically add a group to a folder structure and
all child
objects without removing the values and permissions that already exist on
the folder
structure and child objects? We do not want to remove the permissions that
were explicitly
defined, we simply want to add a group to the existing permissions.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 file management security issues
    ... In order for Alice to Take Ownership of Bob's private folder she would ... Owner and now Bob no longer has the ability to set permissions on it. ... And Windows does have a umask-like function. ... This article contains a set of attack scenarios to demonstrate security ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: User rights problem (Least Privilege)
    ... After giving write permission to Users group on Windows folder the ... >> I am managing a small network with Windows 2003 as DC and XP as clients. ... > inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions. ... > limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the ...
  • Re: OT I need some help from the computer gurus
    ... far as I can tell all permissions are open. ... right-click the shared documents folder and select share this folder and ... He tried to send me to Google ... If you haven't done it already, try restarting Windows. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Modify advanced permissions using wsh on W2K Server
    ... the checkbox that applies changes made to a folder to ... parameters it requires to accomplish your permissions changes. ... >> Two lines of your gifted experience with windows ... >> In the event you had not unchecked the daylight savings time box ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: Password
    ... You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, ... In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck ... Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user ...