Re: windows 2000 server auditing objects...

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:27:27 GMT

You can enable auditing of logon events to track when a "user" logs onto a computer
and audit account logon events in Domain Controller Security Policy to see when a
user logs onto the domain by viewing the security log in Event Viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300549 --- auditing in W2K.

You can also enable auditing of object access on a computer and then audit access to
folders, etc though this not as easy as it sounds and you will have a lot of events
to sift through in the security log in Event Viewer or you may want to try and audit
the print spooler as shown in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323228 -- see How to Turn On and Turn Off
Printing Event Logging.

I know you can set quotas for disk space use per user on a ntfs volume but I don't
know of a way to set print quotas. You may want to as in a Windows printing newsgroup
to see if anyone has any ideas on that. --- Steve

"Ernesto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know how I can audit groups of users and
> track their time and date the logon proccess.
> Also I want to audit the printer and set quotes per user,
> Please if u know how to do that in windows 2000 server i
> will appreciate an anwser

Relevant Pages

  • RE: syslog
    ... For the same kind of environment, I am using Computer Associates eTrust ... Audit integrated with Security command center for an easy event management ... and consolidation of logs + administration of all the Security ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: SAS70
    ... Security, HP Master ASE, CCNA, Security+ ... The SAS70 audit is all about the controls that you have in place and the ... Show me the logs of you doing this. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Event Log ID 538 and 540 continous
    ... I believe the Default Domain Controller Security Settings for SBS 2003 are ... set to 'Success' for "Audit Logon Events" and "Audit Account Logon" events. ... Turning on "Audit Logon Events" may generate a large log (on my test server, ... You may be able to switch to only activating "Audit Account Logon Events" ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Auditing Attempted Shared Folder Access
    ... NTFS auditing is controlled by enabling audit of Object Access ... Audit Acct Management ... Audit Logon Events ... Security: Everyone Full Control ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Auditing in Sharepoint
    ... > I looked at the tool you mentioned it seems more of a usage auditing tool. ... a tool to document security settings and permissions. ... You can audit many functions from IIS logs ...