Re: Server Comprimised

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 07/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:54:17 -0400

Bernie wrote:
> Laura,
>
> I agree with you on it not being "our server" anymore.
>
> As far as the standard reccomentation:
>> * Only install software and services that you need
> Only non- IIS needed app was Webtrends
>> * Disable any services that you're not using
> Did that
>> * Stay up-to-date on anti-virus signatures and security
> patches
> Did that- I check server patches once per week, and update
> AV defs every Thursday and Monday AM
>> * Use a software- or hardware-based firewall to limit who
> can connect to the machine, and what they can do once they
> get there
> I use Hardware Firewall, and have the IIS server isolated
> from the LAN by placing it on DMZ.
>
> This server also serves as my primary NS server, and also
> host DNS server, it's going to be a major task to
> completly rebuild and reconfigure the server, but
> something I agree with I need to do

I agree with Laura, too. I'd also consider putting IIS (or whatever
webserver you choose) on another dedicated box - don't run your DNS on it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS Hack : Anyone explain cause...
    ... it looks like you cleaned up the server -- if you care about security, ... Microsoft tries and mostly succeeds to release patches PRIOR to ... weeks/months/years prior to exploitation. ... > protected rant as we all know that IIS and indeed lots of software has ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Security of IIS - Secure Intranet web site on SBS2003 box
    ... I guess a lot of those patches would be required anyway to ensure the HTTPS ... Because if IIS via HTTPS only is still not considered secure then surely the ... > to rebuild their server and return everything to normal. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Open Ports....How to block them all....?
    ... >> What can be done to secure this server so that this doesn't keep> happening? ... Frequently this happens through an IIS> vulnerability. ... Installing Serv-U software typically involves a> person having the ability to remotely run commands and install files on your> system, ... > Remember that security is not just patches but also proper configuration and> third party hardening tools. ...
  • Re: Open Ports....How to block them all....?
    ... > I keep it up to date with SP's and Patches but find that the server keeps ... Frequently this happens through an IIS ... Ways to secure your system are detailed at: ...
  • [NT] Heap Overrun in HTR Chunked Encoding Could Enable Web Server Compromise
    ... This patch eliminates a newly discovered vulnerability affecting Internet ... in IIS 4.0 and 5.0, and could likewise be used to overrun heap memory on ... allowing code to be run on the server. ... * Microsoft has long recommended disabling HTR functionality unless there ...
    (Securiteam)