Re: HIDING FILES USING DFS

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 07/16/04

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:41:01 GMT

You can not realistically hide or restrict access to anything from an administrator
with the possible exception of file encryption such as EFS and only if the
administrator is not the recovery agent nor has access to the recovery agent private
key. An administrator that does not have assigned permissions to a folder can always
take ownership and grant himself permissions. It is possible to hide a share from My
Network Places by putting a $ after the share name, but that will not hide it from
local computer management tools such as running "net share" on a computer. --- Steve

"MIKE SPRING" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> CAN YOU USE DFS TO HIDE FILES / FOLDERS FROM
> ADMINISTRATORS IN WINDOWS 2000?

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Restrict Access to drives
    ... Subject: Restrict Access to drives ... By restricting access to the hdd to your users ... some other folders which may be necessary. ... Another good idea is to set a user with advanced or local administrator ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: What is the best way to Restrict Access to Admin Tools
    ... talking it over with our DB Administrator I think we ... That way it doesn't matter if they can use odbc admin as all that does is ... create .dsn files anyway. ... I need this specifically to restrict access to ODBC on users computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Controlling user access to external drive
    ... if you restrict access using the method outlined in your link, ... attached devices and as such you can simply grant yourself permission to ... So, "administrator" is generic enough from one computer to another, so ... if you are an administrator you will be able to seize ownership of the whole drive and grant yourself any an all permissions on all the objects on the drive regardless of which computer the drive is plugged in. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows 2000 Professional Group Security (Limit Scope)
    ... usually works keeping in mind that permissions will have to be changed back to ... > Not only did it restrict access to the user account, ... > also restriced access to the administrator account. ... > I need to know how to limit the scope of a Group Policy ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Controlling user access to external drive
    ... One very big "gotcha" is that, being an external USB drive, ... if you restrict access using the method outlined in your link, ... So, "administrator" is generic enough from one computer to another, so ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)