Re: Cant logon to local machine (this computer) as administrator

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 07/12/04

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:56:10 GMT

As mentioned, the logon locally or deny logon locally user right are configured to
prevent administrator or local users from logging on locally. That could be
configured at the local or domain/OU level. I would logon to the local machine as
domain admin and look in Local Security Policy/security settings/local policies/user
rights for the mentioned user rights. Use secpol.msc to bring up Local Security
Policy. If you can reconfigure those rights at the local level, then that is where it
was configured at. If the local settings are grayed out and differ from the
"effective" settings the policy came from a higher priority level such as domain and
OU. I would first check the container the computer is in such as OU or domain. You
can run gpresult on that computer to see what computer policies are being applied to
it and any one of those GPO's listed could be the culprit. --- Steve

"James W. Long" <JamesLong@wowway.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I can log onto the domain account on my clients but I
> can not log into thier local accounts anymore.
>
> I really need this back in case they fail or something.
>
> For instance, my domain is called jewelconsulting.org
> and I run a Win2000 Adv Server Domain Controller
> that is authorative for the jewelconsulting.org domain.
>
> If I go over to my client machine named hal9000,
> I can logon as administrator to jewelconsulting fine.
>
> But I cannot logon to HAL9000 (this machine)
> as administrator at all.
>
> I get this error message and I dont know how to
> fix it, some help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> " The policy of this system does not permit you
> to logon interactively."
>
> How do I fix this and where? on the DC or
> on the local machine?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> James W. Long.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Error: "must be logged on using the built-in administrator acc
    ... my understanding on this issue is: you could not logon your ... administrator locally to your SBS 2k3 server after changing its logon name. ... Right click Default Domain controllers policy and click Edit ... PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: administrator locked out of SBS 2003
    ... Try to logon to the console using this account. ... see which groups the administrator is a member of and post back ... Even the VMware KB's as I've all ready discovered the server V2.0 ... so I deleted the policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Shutdown Utilities Do Not Work
    ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ... > Turned on logon auditing to find that the target machine ... > Rights on "Force shutdown from a remote system" to include ... > Guest along with Administrator that was already set. ...
  • Re: Interactive Logon to DC
    ... Open the Local Policies snap-in (Programs/Administrator ... items under Local Policies/User Rights Assignment ... Deny logon locally ... Pay close attention to the Effective Policy Setting column. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Windows Task Scheduler looses account credentials data
    ... I double-checked the settings you pointed and found my user is a domain ... administrator and has all these rights to logon. ... User Rights Assignments ... Confirm that the administrator is not a part of the rights: "Deny logon ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)