Re: Users Home Folders

From: Danny Sanders (Danny.Sanders_at_cpcNOmedSPAM.org)
Date: 07/08/04

Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:55:44 -0600

Generally it is done by creating a Users folder and within the users folder
each user has a folder named after them or their login name.
I would suggest removing the "everyone" full control and replacing it with
domain users or authenticated users. Then give the specific user full
control in the NTFS permissions.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"steve" <mad.hatter_remove_for-spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, what’s the best way to set-up users home folders on a server
> (windows2003), i want all the users to only access their own
> folders/files. Is there a definite Microsoft way to do this or do all
> admins have a different approach to file/folder security?
> I know I need to share a folder on a server and give everyone full
> control and then use NTFS to restrict access (is this the best way?)
> what exact NTFS permissions should I use?
>
> I know these questions may have been asked before but I am pretty new to
> all this ....
>
> Thanks for your understanding and patience
> steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need Help RE: NTFS
    ... I've set NTFS permissions on c:\shareddata as Domain Admins (full control), ... In the marketing folder, I've created an Excel sample file. ... I went in to the NTFS permissions on both files and set DummyUser to Full ... I'm trying to create a share on our W2k3 network. ...
  • Re: Security and Permissions
    ... > Yes I am including the NTFS Permissions. ... > User Joe appears only in Group1 ... > share AND that the NTFS of the Sub Folder overrides the ... >>administrators full control and users change permissions ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • confirmed weird NTFS issue with Office Docs
    ... if i have a folder structure: ... subfolders) to be able to navigate the folders. ... subfolder and set it explicitly to have DUMMYUSER to have FULL CONTROL on ... from a txt or bmp file when it comes to NTFS permissions. ...
  • RE: DST update for Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003
    ... When you use the Roaming Profile and Folder ... Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable ... CREATOR OWNER: Full Control ... Open Windows explorer, navigate to ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: urgent need help: can not login server
    ... we move logfile from g: to c:, but c: is original place for log file. ... System: Full Control ... ISA Server 2004 FAQ: Monitoring and Logging ... saved in the ISALogs folder of the ISA Server installation folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)