Re: Scecli EventID 1704 isn't always logged in Application Event Viewer

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 07/06/04

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:56:55 GMT

I don't really know what the problem is offhand but a few things. Go to
http://eventid.net to search for your event id's. Be sure to enter number and source.
You also might want to boot into safe mode to see the problem improves as safe mode
bypasses a lot of startup applications. If it does help, you can use a copy of
msconfig from an XP box or download from the internet to selectively disable
applications and services to pinpoint the problem application. Of course I recommend
that you use the latest service pack and be current on critical updates if not
already. Running System File Checker as in sfc /scannow can help sometimes, though if
you are not using SP4 it may overwrite critical updates. You also can force a refresh
of security policy by using secedit as in " secedit refreshpolicy machine_policy
/enforce" . --- Steve

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222471
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814510

"Zzyzx" <Zzyzx@zzyzx.com> wrote in message
> I've been noticing that when viewing the Application Event Viewer that the
> following message has not been showing up a regular basis. Message as
> follows:
>
> Security policy in the Group policy objects are applied successfully.
> EventID 1704.
>
> How do I get this message to post regularly to the Application Event Viewer?
>
> I also see the following message in the Application Event Viewer:
>
> The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber
> {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned HRESULT
> 8000401A. EventID 4100.
>
> Finally I see the following message in the System Event Viewer:
>
> Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using
> DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is:
> {00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
> The user is Unavailable/Unavailable, SID=Unavailable. EventID 10003.
>
> Would these messages cause my computer to lock up without any warning? For
> the past few days, I have been unable to successfully run a Full System
> Virus Scan using Norton Anti-Virus 2004. Also, Autodesk Inventor R7 will
> lock up without warning. It would appear that if EventID 1704 is not
> posted, both applications will lock up without warning. I did notice today
> that the event DID post, and I was able to do a complete Virus Scan without
> locking up. I'm guessing that the errors I've just mentioned are causing my
> computer to lock up.
>
> Any tips, suggestions or errata on this matter would be greatly
> appreciated!!

Relevant Pages