Re: Can't access W2K shares after approx 24 hours

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 07/03/04

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 01:26:45 -0700

You are best off checking your DNS support, rather than
tweaking what may be one symptom. If it is invalid DNS
support you will sooner than later need to get this fixed.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
"harry" <harry@nospam> wrote in message
> if the autodiconnect doesn't solve it I'll check out detdiag & dcdiag.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > When you reinstalled, did you rebuild the domain or was this an
additional
> domain
> > controller?? The proper way to reinstall a dead dc is to restore via
> Directory
> > Services restore Mode from a backup that includes the System State. I
> would run
> > netdiag and dcdiag on your domain controller looking for configuration
> problems and
> > run netdiag on one of those clients next time it "disconnects" to see if
> it reports
> > errors such as failed tests. Dns misconfiguration is the usual culprit
in
> that the
> > domain controller needs to point to itself or the pdc fsmo as it's only
> preferred dns
> > server and the domain clients need to point only to AD domain
controllers
> running dns
> > for the domain [they all do by default in W2K].  --- Steve
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B291382
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301423  -- how
> install
> > netdiag and dcdiag. Same goes for netdiag on non servers.
> >
> > "news.microsoft.com" <harry@nospam> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have couple of WinXP Pro pcs, connected to W2K Server.
> > >
> > > Just reinstalled W2K server (with AD) recently due to HDD crash.
> > >
> > > Now I find after approx 24 hours the WinXP pc's don't have permission
> > > access the shared directories on W2K server. When they login to the
> domain
> > > they have permissions and no problems.
> > >
> > > However after 24 hours or so (not sure exactly how long - seems to be
> > > overnight some time this hapens) all the WinXP pc's can't access the
> shares.
> > > They can see the domain + W2K server in 'Microsoft Widonws Network' in
> > > windows explorer however don't have permission to view the shares.
When
> > > clikc the shared directory, a popu box asks for username + password,
but
> I'm
> > > logged into the domain as Administrator and have max possible rights.
> > >
> > > Any clue to this weird problem please?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Harry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: unable to join computer to domain
    ... finding or network connectivity to a domain controller. ... > test when I run netdiag, but that's what I'm trying to fix. ... >> This is generally a dns configuration problem. ... >> preferred dns servers and NEVER an ISP dns server. ...
  • Remote Branch DC wont Replicate With Corporate DC
    ... Active Directory could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source ... domain controller to an IP address. ... 'Event' is not recognized as an internal or external command, ... operable program or batch file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: GPOs Not Replicating
    ... Services could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source ... domain controller is running Active Directory Domain Services and is ... controller is using a valid DNS server for DNS services, ... Action Create an NTDS Site Settings object for this site. ...
  • Re: cannot join WinXP to Windows 2000 domain
    ... Please post the output from netdiag /v and dcdiag /v. ... another server W2003 DC for it's DNS and the LAN's DHCP ... I would even be willing to move the W2000 DNS services to reside on ... Host records that map the name of the domain controller to its ...