Re: Applying Security Policy Takes Forever

From: Darren Mar-Elia (dmanonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/29/04

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:20:56 -0700

Ben-
Are you setting file system or registry security in that policy? Those are
pretty expensive operations that can take a while when they first run.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management
"Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC that has suddenly developed a problem. For some reason it now
> takes 2mins 30seconds to apply the domain security policy, compared to
last
> week when it only took about 30 seconds.
> The machine is a clone of 5 other machies which are all in the same
office,
> and are pretty much used just for label printing. The other machines all
> apply their security policies in under 1 min. The only thing I can think
> that has changed is the SUS Updates ran yesterday, however I don't think
> there were any updates installed on this particular machine.
> The spec is a HP e-pc (small form factor) P766, 128mb ram, 10gb disk,
> integrated intel 810 video, integrated 3com 905c-tx. The users logon with
> different usernames, however they all use the same profile.
>
> I have re-installed SP4, and checked the event viewer, which had nothing
out
> of the ordinary. I am just about to enable logging for security
> configuration client processing.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ben

Relevant Pages

  • Fwd: Oh Dear, Where to start?!
    ... It seems to me you need two things: an organizational policy, ... finish college and break into the real world of computer security. ... experience in the field of network security and policy ... updates, driver updates, and recommended updates. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comme nts?
    ... All NetScreen appliances rely on custom-designed ASICs (Application ... Specific Integrated Circuits) for security policy enforcement. ... supports a finite number of "rules" or "policies". ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: Cant set Local Security policies. They fail to save
    ... predefined Security Template on SBS 2003 to restore security groups ... run "gpupdate.exe /force" under command prompt to force the policy ... reboot the Server to test. ... and then logon to client computer to test if user can save system logs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: No Shut Down or Restart for Domain Admins
    ... run rsop.msc from your DC and check which policy is responsible to this. ... I have created a group policy in a development network and imported it ... NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users Read (from Security Filtering) No ... Enforce user logon restrictions Enabled ...
  • Re: GPO Update Problem (SYSVOL access via UNC)
    ... Server Security and Auditing Policy ... This list only includes links in the domain of the GPO. ... The settings in this GPO can only apply to the following groups, users, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)